0

March 1: In-Class Writing

We were given two essays to read yesterday, and one of them is called Positive Stereotypes Are Hurtful, Too by Hailey Yook. Basically, the essay is talking about how stereotypes that are positive can be offensive and humiliating as well. She gave an example on Asians being assumed that all of them are smart. That is one of the biggest stereotypes that exists, and she goes on to explaining that the fact that Asians are labeled smart, it would really affect the whole group/race to be pressured to actually be smart just because people think that Asians are all smart. Her essay is informing people that stereotypes hurt, there are differences between complimenting someone and being offensive in a way to someone. I felt that this essay is really relatable as I am Asian myself, and I feel pressured when a person of another race looks at me because they expect me to be so smart and to achieve well in academics. However, in reality, I am not too good in academics. So, stereotyping isn’t such a nice thing to do. This essay really woke me up and made me realize that people do feel the same way that I do.

• Some people stereotype Chinese students as rich
  • It would make us feel bad whether its negative or positive

Serena, Wendy, and Abelle:

Based on Hailey Yook’s essay “Positive Stereotypes Are Hurtful, Too”, it talks about how stereotypes can be hurtful to people who are judged only by certain elements. Yook provides an example that Asians are assumed to be smart, and that is what people who stereotype them expect Asians to be. Even though the stereotype can seem nice, it can be hurtful. Basically, stereotypes are something that people expect others to be, and if they don’t prove to be right then they won’t say that we are who we actually are. Serena gave an example of how she experience that some people stereotype Chinese students as rich people, so everyone would assume that they only care about money and etc. So stereotyping to our group is normal, because we experience it a lot and some of us feel pressured to live up to the expectations of others and not ourselves.

akpribadi