Thoughts on Jummah:

Jummah means Friday, which is the day that Muslims attend Mosque (like Christians attend church on Sundays). The Imam for our sermon travelled from Kansas City to speak at the Mosque that our group visited for Jummah. We entered Mosque without shoes, our heads wrapped in scarves, and our skirts reaching our ankles. We sat behind the men in rows to listen to the Imam before we prayed as a group. I felt bad for falling asleep while he was talking. It was also difficult to sit without crossed legs for 45 minutes. (Crossed legs are considered disrespectful in the Mosque). A point that the Imam made: on the differences between belief and faith. He talked about travelling to make this idea easier to understand, which I related to since we are about to embark on a 3-month journey. The Imam said that people travel always from Point A to Point B, but if Point B is Atlanta, Georgia, people do not stop when they see the sign that says, “Welcome to Atlanta”. They must keep going, because there is a truer destination within those boundaries. Faith is the true destination within Muslim belief, and although I have no religious upbringing, perhaps this idea can translate to Christianity and other religions. The differences between faith and belief are still blurry to me, as they seem to have very similar definitions. I think that visiting Touba, Senegal will help me to make further distinctions. Touba is the holy city in Senegal, a place where Muslim faith is taken more seriously and the Qur’an is followed more strictly. Women cannot enter certain spaces and some men will not shake women’s hands. I’ve never experienced sexism like how it has been described in Touba. Senegal will give me both negative and positive experiences and there will be times when I will want to be back in my city by the Bay, in the arms of the people I love instead of in a foreign place across the world, but I’m here to embrace being uncomfortable with new people in new places. I’m here to push myself mentally and grow further into myself as a woman in the world.