Presentation 004

Standard
  • OUTLINE
    • Advocacy in Nursing
      • Patient advocacy
        • information
        • support (emotionally and information wise)
        • risky treatment
      • Advocating for yourself and your unit
        • short staff
        • shift time
        • time off
  • WRITE OUT

Hi everyone. I’m Alyssa Catalan and I am a nursing major here at USF. I was really struggling to find a speech topic that related to advocacy, until we started to talk about advocacy in my Intro to Professional Nursing class. That class gave me an idea and I’ll be sharing some of that with you all today. So I’ll be talking about advocacy in the nursing profession, more importantly advocating for your patient and yourself.

Patient advocacy is when you advocate for your patient and giving them the care they need. This could be by giving them information about their diagnosis and how to deal with it or listening to your patients concerns and addressing them. For example, if you have a patient who has been recently diagnosed with a terrible disease, they might not know about the disease or how it will affect their life. So it’s your job to give them the information and support they need, as well as listen to their concerns. Another example of advocating for your patient could be when they want to go through with a risky treatment plan that their family or other care providers don’t really agree with. It would be your job as a nurse to kind of convince everyone that that it what your patient wants and help them fight for the care they want and deserve.

As well as advocating for their patients, nurses also have to advocate for themselves. This means speaking up for the things that affects you as nurse or your unit. For example if you’re working overtime almost everyday because your unit is short staffed, it’s beneficial to you and your unit to speak up and get your supervisor to schedule more people. This could benefit you as an individual, your unit as a whole, and your patients because there would be more people on hand to care for them. Advocating for yourself could also be fighting for the shift that you want, whether it be the morning, midday, or night shift.

And yeah, thank you for listening to me talking about advocacy in the nursing profession.

• SOURCES

Introduction to Professional Nursing Class