Presentation Topics

• I have two ideas for the credibility assessment presentation. The first, could be investigating the credibility of Lucy Martin, who is a former pro cyclist and is discussing if it necessary for women to get a women-specific bike. The second option I could be investigating is the credibility on helmets and helmet laws. I read somewhere that the bicycle helmet law was defeated in Denmark because “the overwhelming evidence is that enforced helmet laws lead to very much less cycling, particularly for utility journeys and amongst young people.” I’m not sure if I could easily apply one of the credibility concepts here but I thought it was an interesting topic. The credibility of both options could be looked into further but I feel investigating the credibility of a human may have more to work with.
  • For an idea based on my own personal interests, one option could be investigating bicycle thievery. I read from an article online that the San Francisco Police Department estimates that 90% of bike thieves are drug addicts, and bicycles are considered a form of street currency. I researched further and I found a very interesting story https://www.outsideonline.com/1922671/who-pinched-my-ride?page=all The man who got his bike stolen here in San Francisco went on a full investigation by himself really and I thought the story and the conclusions he came to were very interesting. Another possibly topic could be looking into the world of walking your dog alongside bike riding. I don’t know how much information is out there on this topic or what there really is to work with but I find both things very interesting.
  • Lastly, for an idea based on my academic or professional interests, I thought further researching bicycle safety could be interesting and marketing efforts that encourage helmet wear. Or, I also found an article discussing an app called Biko. It originated in Colombia but the app works by logging every kilometer that you walk, jog, or cycle and then a point in collected. And depending on how many points you have, you then choose the offer or promotion you want from local businesses. Biko’s mission is to encourage urban cycling by offering users rewards for their physical activity. I’m not sure how exactly I can relate that with my academic or professional interests but it’s definitely worth exploring.