S2 Reflection

Overall, I felt like my speech went way better than my S1 Reflection. I felt more confident and knowledgeable. While my topic was a bit strange, I really enjoyed talking about it. Since I feel like my sexual education in the 8th grade was sub-par, I always like to learn more about reproduction. (Still, it was a bit awkward saying “anus” in front of a class.) The Speech Center helped me with my transitions and organizing my slides, something I found helpful while up there. Still, I sort of wanted more help from the center. I felt like they just use the same worksheet for everyone and did not give me specific information pertaining to my speech. Next time, I want to know more about specific things I do while giving a speech.

While I did feel like I did a lot better than my first speech, there are still aspects I want to better for my future speeches. I want to improve on my conclusion. While I did do the things that were recommended, I felt like mine was a bit weak and rambly. I put the “In conclusion” in the wrong place and did not really have a clincher. But, it was still better than my first speech’s ending.

Also, I want to work on avoid on saying “um” or “uh”. I feel like I said that every time I was switching a slide or felt insecure. I need more eye contact and need to not look at my slides too much. Still, the slides helped me a lot and made me feel less nervous because the crowd focused on the slides rather than me. I enjoyed my topic, but still felt a bit uncomfortable about saying “scrotum” in front of others. I know I shouldn’t, because we are all adults, but my initial reaction was to laugh at the word. I hope I didn’t show it.

I thought that having a slide show was very helpful for me. I would love to use it for future presentations. I feel like it was very helpful to show my sources and the information I found to help prove my points. As mentioned in my speech, I felt like there was less information pertaining to female sexual health. I think that is a double standard that researchers will do more for sexual health for guys but not for girls.

For my next speech, I want to be able to walk in front of the class without feeling very intimidated or scared. I was not very scared this time, but that was mostly because I felt like I knew my material and had a slide show. I felt like this speech was more chill and informal than the first speech. I think it’s because I know the majority of the class and feel less intimidated of their judgement. I hope to be a lot more confident next time, however.

I need to do this for my next speech (focusing more on the conclusion).