0

January 26, 2018

Meaning of Name assignment:

Most of the websites I went on described my first name, Brandi, as a variant of Brandy, so it comes from the alcoholic beverage. One site did say that the Italian meaning was a form of Brand, meaning fiery beacon, which is better than being named after alcohol. My last name, Chang, has a much longer history and a lot more meanings, so I don’t really know which one is right. It was derived from the name Zhang, or is more like a variant of it. Some of the meanings include: drawing a bow, archer, bowyer, flourish, prosper, sunlight, smooth, free and long, depending on which Chinese character you use to spell it.

I know my mom named me Brandi after a singer, thankfully not after a drink, and my last name is from my dad. I couldn’t really find any other cultural/religious meanings because I am running out of time but I think the definitions I found are pretty good. I don’t think I’ve ever been embarrassed by my name, but I do remember whenever people found out my last name was Chinese they were a little surprised because I look white. I haven’t changed my name or adopted a new name because I do kind of like it and I don’t have another name that I absolutely love enough to change my name to.

bmchang3