0

February 12, 2018

Audio Essay Script

My story is going to be about where I grew up and how it affected my opinion and perspective on my own ethnicity. I was born and raised on Oahu, Hawaii and I’ve lived there my whole life. I grew up on an island with a primarily Asian population, and although I am Chinese I am also half white and a little Hawaiian, so growing up surrounded by a large Asian population made me seem just white. I loved the fact that I was Chinese because my dad always taught me about Chinese culture, however people only saw me as white and even made fun of me for trying to say that I wasn’t just white. Due to this throughout my childhood, I’ve grown to almost despise the fact that I am half white because of what people have been telling me throughout my childhood, and I have gotten used to people being confused when they hear my last name and then look at me.

This develops the idea of identity as well as the norms from where I grew up because I identified as part Chinese but people didn’t believe me because of the norm of what Asian “looked like”. This has caused me to think poorly about being white and made me not want to accept who I was. However, after coming to San Francisco, people are much more accepting of all races and ethnicities which has helped me to stop caring so much about how people categorize me and just more about accepting myself. I guess this will just help the audience understand more about people with mixed cultures or ethnicities.

bmchang3