February 12th

My story is about my transition from elementary school to middle school. I grew up in Silverlake, which is a relatively small town in Los Angeles. I had been living there for my entire life, and I knew nothing outside of this town. I attended preschool to fifth grade in Silverlake, but my mom wanted me to be around people with different perspectives, so she sent me to a middle school in Pasadena called Mayfield Junior School. The school that I attended in Silverlake was very liberal and laid-back, while Mayfield, the school that I would soon attend, was very strict, religious, and conservative.

This was a very hard transition for me, because I saw things differently than a lot of these people. The teachers were a lot more strict, there was a dress code, and the students were a lot more preppy. For a long time, I felt like an outsider because I could not relate to anyone in any way. I dressed different, listened to different music, and had different views on life. Although this initially bothered me and made me feel bad about myself, I got to know these people better, and got a better understanding of who they were. Everyone has a story, and there is a reason why people behave the way that they do. I learned to accept and embrace the differences we had, and eventually became friends with all these people. Still to this day, some of my closest friends are the friends that I made in middle school. The moral of my audio essay is to not judge other people, accept people’s differences, and be comfortable with who you are.