2

Academic Trivia #4: Do my professors write articles?

Hello everyone, and happy new year!  I was thinking to myself, “what better way to start the new year than with an “Academic Trivia” post?!”  So here we go…  If you are a current student or an alum, you have definitely read your share of academic articles and have noticed that the authors of those articles work at universities.  So, I thought I would answer the question of whether the professors in our department write articles like those you read in your classes.  The answer?  Yes, we do!  As proof, I put a call out to the professors in our department asking for their most recent publication, just to give you an idea (our profs names are in bold).  Here is what I heard back:

Burgess, S.  (in press).  Foucault’s challenge to law.  The International Journal of Law in Context.

DeLaure, M.  (2008).  Planting seeds of change: Ella Baker’s radical rhetoric.  Women’s Studies in Communication, 31(1), 1-28.

Doohan, E. M., Carrère, S., & Riggs, M.  (2010).  Using relational stories to predict the trajectory toward marital dissolution: The oral history interview and spousal feelings of flooding, loneliness, and depression.  Journal of Family Communication, 10(1), 57-77.

Ho, E. Y., & Robles, J. S. (in press). Cultural resources for health participation: Examining biomedicine, acupuncture and massage therapy for HIV-related peripheral neuropathy. Health Communication.

Jacquemet, M.  (in press).  The search for referential accuracy: Evoking (and abusing) proper names in asylum hearings.  Journal of Linguistic Anthropology.

Thorson, A. R.  (in press). Parental infidelity: Adult children’s accounts and attributions for their parents’ extramarital relationships.  In L. M. Webb & F. C. Dickson (Eds.), Communication for families in crisis: Theories, methods, strategies.  Cresshill, NJ: Hampton Press.

“In press” just means that the article hasn’t been published yet, but it will be published in the coming months (that is why the citation is incomplete, for all of you APA junkies out there!).  Have any of you read articles by the professors in our department?  Respond back if you have!

Do you have a question that you want answered in an upcoming edition of Academic Trivia?  Write me at edoohan@usfca.edu.

2 Comments

1. Awesome post! I am absolutely going to nerd out on some of these publications. Could you post a follow up (or email) when the other articles are published?

2. Hi Laurel!
    Glad you liked the post. All of the profs have written multiple articles, and you can find them in the library databases or sometimes online. I wanted to give examples of recent work, but there are a lot more available (depending on how much you want to “nerd out”)!