1

94 Days of Summer, Day 72: Tess's Family Recipes

Don’t be confused. “Speaking of…” has not changed into a food blog! Well, maybe just for this week, because food is on the mind of our Communication Studies guest bloggers! In this entry senior Tess Parsons shares some old family recipes. Yum!

“Hello again Communication Studies students.  My last blog for y’all was a quick overview of a future career.  And after reading some of the other blogs I am realizing just how much work all of us Communication students are doing this summer.  With these busy schedules and long internship hours, one’s got to eat, right?

Of course! So as a middle of the road blog entry I wanted to share with all of you some delicious, easy, and inexpensive meals that will satisfy any working person and impress any house guests.

Now, I couldn’t just share any old, random recipes I found online.  So instead I am posting up two recipes: one from my grandmother Patricia and the other one from my grandmother Patricia.  Did I just make a typo? Nope, you read it right.  Both of my grandmothers are named Patricia and both of them are fantastic cooks.  So, the first recipe is for the simplest, most juicy Roasted Chicken and the second recipe is for a delicious, budget friendly Breakfast Egg and Cheese Soufflé.

Grandma Patty’s Oven Roasted Chicken

Ingredients:

• 1 whole roasting chicken (Trader Joe’s has a great free range chicken for around 11 bucks)
  • 1 whole lemon
  • 1 sprig of rosemary (sometimes when I am in a rush and don’t have this I leave it out, no big deal)
  • 1 yellow onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1 stick of butter
  • 1 can of condensed cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
  • Salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400°.

-First, take the chicken out of the package and make sure to remove anything you may find inside the chicken cavity (gross, but sometimes they do leave the gizzards inside).  Once you have rinsed out the chicken and the cavity, dry the chicken thoroughly.

-Second, slice the entire onion and lay the slices in one layer on the bottom of a roasting pan (or any sheet that has fairly tall sides).  Place the chicken on top of the onions so that the onions are covered.  Use a fork to puncture some holes into the lemon and place the lemon inside the cavity of the chicken.

-Lastly, place the sliced garlic cloves and rosemary under the skin and salt the chicken thoroughly.  Melt the stick of butter in the microwave or a pan and pour ¼ of the butter over the chicken before placing it in the oven.  Bake the chicken for 1 ½ hours, pouring more butter over the chicken ever 30 minutes.

-Finally, remove the golden, juicy chicken from the oven.  Remove the chicken from the pan, but leave all browned onions and juices in the pan.  Add the can of soup to the pan and heat on the stovetop until the soup and juices make a delicious, hot gravy.  Serve with mashed potatoes, biscuits and veggies, or on its own.

Yummy roast chicken!

Grandma Yaya’s Cheese and Egg Soufflé

Ingredients:

• 6 eggs
  • 1 cup non-fat milk
  • ½ lb. Jack cheese (cubed)
  • 1 small non-fat cream cheese (cubed)
  • 1 small non-fat cottage cheese
  • ½ cup flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/8 pound butter (cubed)
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

-Beat eggs and milk in the blender.  Mix flour and baking powder and add to the blender.  Pour the blended mixture into a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients.  Bake for 350° for 1 hour.

-Enjoy with salsa or breakfast hash.”

Thanks, Tess! And you can tell these recipes come from a future dentist… no triple gooey caramel marshmellow tooth decaying desserts here!

One Comment