0

10 Questions: Melissa Jenkins, '11

The new year has started, and what better way to kick it off than with a new category of blog post? I thought it might be fun to pose 10 questions to a few of our recent graduates about their experiences here at USF and what their plans are for the future. You know, so we can learn from their experiences now that they are wizened college grads! Today, Melissa Jenkins, who just graduated this past December, is answering them for us. Here we go…

Congratulations Melissa!

#1: What is your favorite memory from USF?

Melissa: “My favorite memory at USF is lying out on the grass that surrounds Lone Mountain on a hot day (rare in SF!) with Kylie and Cayden (also recent graduates) in between classes, dreaming about graduating ‘some day.'”

#2: What are you most proud of during your college career?

Melissa: “I’m probably most proud of the internship I had with NBC and where that led me.”

#3: What will you miss most about college?

Melissa: “I will miss the Professors and the college campus itself.  USF is such a gorgeous campus!”

#4: What was your favorite thing about being a Communication Studies major?

Melissa: “I would have to say that my favorite thing about being a Communication Studies major is the fact that the material I studied is actually something I can use on a daily basis whether it’s in my career, or in my everyday life.”

#5: What, if anything, would you do differently if you were starting your college career over again?

Melissa: “I would learn how to study for tests earlier on in my college career. I would figure out what my real learning style was and respect it.  I would also take advantage of my Professor’s office hours (go visit them once in a while, they won’t bite!)”

#6: What advice do you have for students in their first or second year of college?

Melissa: “Study first, play later.  No matter how fun whatever it is that’s luring you away from getting what you need to do done, it won’t be as fun if you have something due that is looming over your head!”

#7: What are you most excited for as you  begin this next phase of life after graduation?

Melissa: “I just started my own business so I’m really excited about getting that off the ground and profitable!”

#8: What do you hope to be doing five years from now?

Melissa: “Working hard in a career that I love.”

#9: How are you different now than when you first started at USF?

Melissa: “I have a much stronger sense of who I am as a person and what I want to do with my life. USF gave me the freedom to explore what really drives me.”

#10: What three words describe your current feelings about graduating?

Melissa: “Pride, Hope, Satisfaction”

Melissa at graduation

Congratulations, Melissa! Thanks for sharing your experiences with us! We are so proud of you!

campus