0

Student Shout-Out: Megan and Vitality SF

I’m excited to be featuring Communication Studies major Megan Marabella and her work with the Vitality SF dance company on the blog today. Megan is not only a member but the founder of Vitality SF! I asked her to tell me about why she started the dance club and what they do…

Megan, founder of Vitality SF Dance

Megan, founder of Vitality SF Dance

“I started Vitality SF during the end of my Freshman year at USF and it officially began in August of 2013. When I came to USF as a Freshman I was used to dancing between 20 and 30 hours per week. So, to come to college and be dancing anywhere from zero to two hours per week was really hard for me. I looked everywhere on campus to find the style of contemporary that I was passionate about, but unfortunately wasn’t able to find my niche. After talking to some other dancers who were feeling the same way I decided to start my own club which could be a place for contemporary dancers like myself to have a place to do what they love and to grow! Now, Vitality holds practices every week which are open to all levels of dancers and has a performance company who practices extra during the week and participates in performances throughout campus. We even hold our own annual show in March! What I love so much about Vitality SF is that it has become a place for students to come for two hours and de-stress from the craziness of being a busy student. It’s two hours during our week where we can go to the studio and do what we love and not worry about anything else!
Vitality Company Dancers

Vitality Company Dancers

In the club there are three types of members: (1) club members who attend one practice a week; (2) apprentice members who attend two practices a week and are in training to move up to the performance company; and (3) company members who attend two practices a week, sometimes more depending, and perform at shows throughout the year. We have our club set up this way because we don’t want to be exclusive. I love how we have dancers from all different backgrounds and at all different levels. It’s extremely rewarding to watch students come in with zero to some dance experience and see how much they grow and progress and to also watch students come in who have grown up dancing and continue to improve throughout their involvement in Vitality.
10451852_10152822965477379_1725491997917819351_n
12173_1491039931123194_256638858_n
1620818_1491092384451282_211447530_n
This semester is Vitality’s busiest semester with events! We have our annual show Wednesday, March 30th, at 7:00 PM in the Presentation Theatre. We are also performing at the CAB concert, Donaroo, this year which we are very excited about!”
You can learn more about Vitality Dance SF here:
Instagram: @VitalityDanceSF
Twitter: @VitalityDanceSF
Go support Megan and the other dancers at Illuminate on March 30th!
VITALITY-SF-POSTER-FIN-WEBJPG
Congratulations Megan!

edoohan