April 25, 2018

After reading Rose and McClelland’s essays it made me reflect on my own life and my job back at home very much. I work as a waiter just like Rose’s mother, however, I am a waiter at a nursing/retirement home. All my coworkers are high school or college students which makes the environment very welcoming. Working with people of the same age group and that are also experiencing┬áthe same struggle to make work, school and a social life all fit together made the job somewhat even fun most of the times. I never really found myself, during high school when I was back at home, upset or mad to have to go to work any day of the week. I genuinely loved going to work and basically hanging out with friends, all while getting paid. All fun aside though the job is very demanding and there have been countless times where I have found myself extremely stressed or upset while on the job. Senior citizens and the residents that we have to serve have very differing moods. On top of that, we have a fairly large workload that we have to complete within the 4-hour dinner shift.

Regardless, after reading about the realities of other minimum wage workers in Rose and McClelland’s works it made me feel extremely grateful. Even though work can be very hard and stressful sometimes, I find myself happy to be there most times than not. Also, I’m earning more than minimum wage and when I work a lot, say 6 or 7 days a week for only 4-hour dinner shifts every day, it is really not that bad compared to what the examples in the two author’s works went through. I genuinely wish there could be some kind of improvement that could take place in these such workforces, it makes me very upset to see people working on minimum wage just barely getting by and having to deal with all of those harsh work conditions that come with it.