Project 2 Write-Out Post

Good afternoon, I am Devyn Nguyen and I am a business major, so I decided to analyze the application of evidence in the business world. Evidence is an integral part of business, which I learned from my dad. My dad is actually in business himself, which inspired me in selecting my major. With my dad as a business owner, I was able to interview him as an outside source to understand how evidence works in his own workplace.

First on the following slide, I will begin to explain a bit of my dad’s background, his name is Kenny Nguyen and he is a part owner of 2 businesses, one being a small gym.After being a part of the business world for many years, he has acquired experience in obtaining information and evidence.

For example, on the next slide i show how my dad explained to me that he gains information internally and externally, doing so by himself at first, then with a team. He also expressed the importance of calculating decisions based on research, or due diligence, which are precautionary steps taken before making a big business decision.

On the next slide, I will Relate to the texts we have read for our class. An example is “Using and Citing Evidence to Construct and Support Arguments,” by Joseph Zompetti, my dad also has similar tactics regarding viable evidence. Zompetti discussed the power in utilizing statistics in portraying information as it aids the audience in “visualizing an abstract concept.” When interviewing my dad, he shared an identical view as he explained that “numbers don’t lie.” Numbers and stats can be very convincing in making the audience understand the reality of the situation being presented to them. An example to illustrate this idea of applying numbers is one Zompetti provides, saying either: 80% of all Ugandan children are conscripted into the Ugandan army versus “many children” are apart of the Ugandan army. By using a statistic, or a percentage, the information being presented has a stronger impact on the audience. Naturally, numbers have are extremely effective in convincing an audience.
(explain that the man is Joseph zompetti in pic)

On the next slide, I present Another text, “Data Visualization” by Krista Schnell which is also relatable to my dad’s interview. In Schnell’s text, her and her colleague explain that “data alone is meaningless.” In order for data to be understood in more depth, a speaker should illustrate their message to their audience.(IN THE SLIDE THERE IS A BUNCH OF DATA IN WORDS VS A. GRAPH DEPICTING THE INFORMATION THATS EASIER TO COMPREHEND). Also for another example my dad discussed the importance in creating presentations to market or promote a product. Another example of data visualization are apps such as Microsoft Excel. Any other business major has experienced this example first hand, as we use this in real-life with our very own Business Statistics class! In this math class we are required to use Microsoft excel with our lessons.  
Anyways, Since we are in a bicycling class, I have one last point to make on the next slide, regarding my dad collecting information and evidence for his business! My dad considered different variables when choosing stationary bikes for his gym with his partners to find bikes with a modern and unique workout experience. After talking to clients, gaining information through questions, he decided to go with bikes that felt like real bikes to mimic bicycling outdoors.

In conclusion, There are many different ways to apply evidence techniques to the real-world in a variety of situations. I found that these 2 articles related most to what my dad had explained to me through his own experience in working in business. After exploring these applications of evidence and information, I have learned that these techniques are transferable and applicable to many real-life situations. so Thank you!