February 9, 2018

Freewrite:

I have yet to think in depth what topics I wanted to cover in my audio essay about identities.  I am not as informed and well-versed in heavy topics like racial identity or social identity.  I tend to stray away from controversial topics like those and focus on more light-hearted things such as keeping up with my favorite artists and when their new music is coming out or fashion and what my favorite celebrity icons are wearing.  All my favorite artists express how they have struggled with their identities and how to share their perspective on life in their music or on their social media. So I have been exposed to gender inequality, racial injustice, and hate towards the LGBTQ+ community but that was it.  I sympathized and connected with their music but never delved deeper into the root of the problem and really get to understand in a deeper sense what they really go through. So to really grasp what I plan on saying in my audio essay I will need to do my research beforehand so I can get some background information to base my essay on.  I do know that I want to touch on social identity for the LGBTQ+ community and how they make a statement in today’s society because that does hit home for me.  I have family members and close friends who do struggle with their identity and sexuality in the workplace, with family, and in life in general.  I also want to touch on racial identities focusing on the minorities because I myself am a part of the “minority” group and I want to share how we make a name for ourselves in today’s society.

Outline:

My literary essay will be in my point of view and how I am witnessed racial and social identities evolve and become more prominent in our society. I want to touch on how the LGBTQ+ community made a name for itself especially living in San Francisco where they have their own little town in the big city and how my family and close friends struggle with their identities internally and externally. I initially wanted to talk about both racial and social identities, but to really express a concise story and emotion, it is best to talk about just social identities.  I will try to shed some light on racial identities in my story.