IN CLASS RESPONSE TO RENDELL

About the relationship of individual and team, I thought Rendell response was interesting because of the bicycle racing perspective he took. Before reading this I was completely unaware about the things he mentioned about cycling racing. Being a person who is more familiar and used to playing team sports, I never thought of biking as something that overlaps, but Rendell makes it clear in the slight overlaps it has. Playing basketball majority of my life before college, there was many times where you have to sacrifice your own personal benefit for the sake of winning. As my position in basketball was the point guard primarily, I had the ball in my hands all the time. Although in every game I would be tempted in taking first immediate shots, in which I was confident in making, I knew that in order for the team to win, it would require unselfish play from me as a teammate and leader. With that said, you always have to give something, to make the team better. Like basketball, there are also times in cycling where you must work together and sacrifice personal benefits for the sake of others.