RENDELL, “AN OCEAN OF AIR” RESPONSE

After reading Rendell’s response, I  learned a lot about biking and was able to really feel the essence of a big race. I thought his response was very interesting, well described and very informative as I did not know most of these things about biking. ” … to compete, even rivals must cooperate,” by this statement, cycling is so similar to many other sports and things involving a team. Success here in this case would be achieving that one common goal, by working together as a team, even if you’re not on the same team. It’s so interesting and intriguing to me how cycling is so strategic and Rendell captures every aspect including the thought process in making these decisions in a race. By working together to save energy, cyclists form mini teams throughout the race whether it being intentional or not. The things you do and sacrifice to put yourself in a winning situation is what cycling is about. By being competitive and knowing what is at stake cyclists must also make sacrifices in the form of a team.