0

January 26

Meaning of NameĀ 

Hector, derived from Greek legend, was one of the Trojans who fought against the Greeks. After killing Achille’s friends, Achilles himself killed Hector, and tied his dead body to the back of his chariot and dragged him around. The name Hector is historically common in Scotland. The last name Bustos, is a surname of noble origin from Northern Spain. This last name expanded to Argentina, Mexico, and Chile in the 17th century. I was named after my mother’s late baby brother. Living conditions in Mexico were not the best during my mother’s childhood, so her baby brother became extremely sick and passed away.

There was a point in my life when I was somewhat embarrassed by my name because my mother was unable to say it properly. She came to the United States at the age of 16 and since then she dedicated her life to working, and although she understands and can hold some conversations in English, her English is incredibly choppy. Although I found it somewhat embarrassing at an early age, I no longer find this situation embarrassing because I have come to realize that she was unable to learn proper English because she dedicated the majority of her life to working so that my siblings and I could live a better life.

hmbustos