when i first got America, i have been “tokenized”. i was in a high school. in class group working, i made a impression that Chinese are good at math on other American students because i was good at math. i make less mistakes. i calculate number faster than American students. i know how to calculate numbers correctly. usually, we do not need to check the numbers i calculated. but for other numbers calculated by American students, we need to check them carefully because there could be serious mistakes and this will effect our group score.
my audio will be about the year I “truly” started my study aboard. i will talk about my first two years experiences of studying in a private high school in Washington. then, i will talk about the after 1 year i spend in Boston, which was the year i start my college year. i began to make friends and experienced new things different than things i know before. those things made huge impact to my personal identity and social value.
throughout all this years, i have encountered lots of culture shock. i also learned a lot from those events. for example, i learned that how discrimination look like. i know how we should perform in school.
different life style for children live in china and America
what i learned from american high school. what i have learned from chinese high school. purely knowledge vs. how to be manage ourselves, multitasking, important skills we need to live in this society.
what do we do in the school in both america and china. after class sports, social life vs. in class studying
what form my social identity on the high school period on literate narrative. reading and writing on american books
right or wrong for each kind of education. pro and cons. advantages and disadvantages.
culture shock —— chinese high school life —— american high school life
sport sprots? after class sports
academic knowledge reading and writing social life social life being occupied by studying? prom, volunteer, etc
the main expectation of this essay is to let your audience get a sense of acknowledge of your culture and race. the audio essay will mainly talk about our background culture. How sound shaped some of the your childhood experiences? How sound formed your personal value?
in this assignment, I might learn that how to correctly express the background culture through sound without fully illustration. this will also be a challenge for me because I have so little experiences about it. I will focus on the using of the music and sound on my audio. what kind of music and sound should i use? what feeling does the audience have when they heard the music or sound? can the music and sound correctly express the feeling we want to express?
Response to Jenna’s Feb 5th reading response.
Jenna read Miller’s “Scenes and Un-Scenes: Class Dismissed” and “Black and Blue” very well. She hold a strong feeling after she read “Black and Blue”. Although she knew this topic before, she has never thought or realized the seriousness of it. In Arizona, there’s kids do the same thing that Garnette talked about in the article. But she does not agree or like this kind of doing. I did not think this much when I read Garnette’s essay. I was treat this essay as a normal kind of essay which talk about racial topic again. I did not view it with my own experiences.
For the audio essay, she believes that this new form of essay can express something that the normal essay cannot, such as the emotion and feeling when the author construct the essay.
- Reality shows are some of the best shows on television because it always tell me the truth and it always enlighten me at some points.
- the ways to approach a successful marriage requires patience, good communication and a sense of humor.
- the university has cut many budget because it lack of revenue and other project requires large budget.
- community volunteer work will help you make more friends and improve you communication skills.
- my year of training taught me what’s more important than the Olympic ski team are discipline, time management, focus and participate.
why different between gender? physical and mind. history: ancient, man: hunt; women: collecting fruit. modern: movement, saying: there’s no absolute equality.
comparison: past compare to present.
source: Chinese movie, Red Cliff.
2 ancient women character — women’s role in Chinese culture.
present: iPartment. comedy, tv show
2-3 women character, modern character
reflection and own experiences
as social media developing, my family started to use social media a lot in their life. for example, my mom uses a function called “moment” in WeChait to post some beautiful pictures she took or some meaningful article she read. she use this as a record of her life. on the other hand, i do not use social media a lot, because i do not want to post everything i have done online and i am not an addict to the social media or Internet. i view it more like a tool or an entertainment for our life.
in Chinese culture, people began to use social media in the recent years.
major expectation or requirement for essay 1
- it ask us to describe our history about how we learn and write in cultural and academic context.
- 1000-1200 words, double space, MLA style
- multimodal form, we can use audio, video, picture and so on
- The reality show follows the lives of Bruce and Kris Jenner’s combined family, so most of the episodes focus on the three oldest daughters, Kourtney, Kim, and Khloe Kardashian.
- Bruce Jenner was famous for breaking the world record and winning a gold medal in the decathlon at the 197 Olympics; in addition, his sons from a previous marriages, Brandon and Brody, have also appeared on their own reality shows.
- The Kardashians’ father, the late attorney Robert Kardashian, was famous for representing O. J. Simpson, and his daughters gained recognitions as American socialites.
- Kim came into the national spotlight in 2007 after a sex-tape scandal and resulting Playboy appearance, in spite of, that the Kardashian fame grew into a profitable reality series.
- The show depicts the daily routine of the Kardashians, and spin-off shows feature Kourtney, Kim, and Khloe’s attempts to build their line of fashion boutiques.
- the Kardashians’ behavior at first seemed outrageous, but they are a loving family.
- The Kardashians squabble like typical siblings, but Kris, the mother, holds the family together.
- Kim’s $10 million wedding to pro basketball player Kris Humphries in 2011 was seen by an estimated 10.5 million viewers, but the marriage lasted only 72 days.
it is a tv show that shows the life stories between 10 young people. it is more like a comedy because most of the stories are making people laugh. those ten young people are 10 young people lived in city. they are represent most of the young people in china. it is like “two broken girls” in Chinese version.
there are 4 main women character in the show. they have been represented equally than the male character in the show. the female character almost have all the characters of modern Chinese young girls. they are capable of everything woman can do, even some of the man’s work. there’s one female character. she is very “strong”. not only in physical, but also in mental. she earns a phd degree, which is very hard to get. she always want to be the best in every aspect. in this case, she has been consider “impossible to get married”. this is because she is so “strong” that few men can beat her.