Top 10 Things I’m Looking Forward to as an Educator

1. To have my own classroom
  2. Everyday will bring something new
  3. Teaching makes a difference, with visible results
  4. Watching students have that “lightbulb” moment makes everything worthwhile.
  5. Creating creative and interactive lesson plans
  6. The freedom of the job
  7. To watch my students grow
  8. To Give Back to my community
  9. The Challenge
  10. Being excited to go to work everyday

There are so many more reasons as to why I would like to be a teacher, but these are the top 10 things I look forward to as a future educator. I’m looking forward to having my own classroom. When I walk into other teachers classrooms and I see everything they have around the room it gives me so many great ideas for what I want in my classroom. I know that everyday will bring something new in the class, no day will be the same as the day before. Students are creative in their own way and I know they’ll bring something new to the classroom everyday. Teaching makes a visible impact on students, watching them grow from the first day of school to the last day will be a great thing to watch. The “lightbulb” moment ties into watching each individual student grow. Seeing the “light bulb” go off knowing they finally got something is going to be great to see happen. As a future teacher I’m also excited to begin and create interactive lesson plans. As a child, I always felt like school was really dull because my teachers never made lessons fun, they just simply taught the information and moved on. I want my students to be engaged and to take away content that isn’t just the material their suppose to learn in a classroom.

This ties into having the freedom in the job. As educators, we have the freedom to teach what falls under the standard or the framework. We also have the freedom to express ourselves and to allow the students to express themselves however they feel fits them best. My goal is to return to my community in the bay area and teach there. I’ve always wanted to go back and teach at my high school. A lot of the teachers that I had are the reason that I want to be a teacher. They genuinely cared about their students as individuals and wanted them to succeed. I’d love to go back, but living in the Bay Area is so expensive, it might not be ideal. The Challenge I believe teaching will bring, is the idea that sometimes not everyone is going to be on the same page as you. Teachers have to sometimes break barriers down in order to do their job. Not everything in the world is sunshine and rainbows and there are times where fighting for what’s right is necessary. Regardless of it all, I’m excited to go to work everyday. Teachers don’t have a traditional 9-5 schedule, they come in to prep at whatever time, and leave when everything is done, but it’s all for the students. I didn’t choose teaching for the salary, I chose it to make a difference. I’d rather be excited everyday about my job, then wake up every morning and do a job that makes me unhappy and dread it.

One thought on “Top 10 Things I’m Looking Forward to as an Educator

1. I really like your top ten and that you mentioned the challenge it comes with teaching and how you should fight for what’s right. In addition the “light bulb” moment is very true for me too and get very excited when students understand what they are learning.