11/20/17

The 2012 Pulitzer Prize Winner in Feature Photography, was awarded to Craig F. Walker of The Denver Post. The image introduced is of a former U.S. Marine, Scott, watching a lightning storm from his apartment and reminisces about the times he would have died while over seas. Scott, like many other veterans, is having a hard time transitioning to civilian life, and is battling against Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). While watching the storm Scott stated, “I’m just feeling guilty about the things I did. I was a brutal killer, and I rejoiced in it. I was bred to be a killer, and I did it. Now I’m trying to adapt and feel human again. But to feel human, I feel guilty. I did horrible things to people… That’s why I can’t eat: I feel guilty, I feel sick.”

The argument being addressed through this photo is many veterans need our help transitioning into civilian lives. This photograph is addressing ones’ pathos because it makes you feel sympathetic for Scott, and gives the viewer a sense of compassion to help other struggling veterans.