S2 Topic Proposal

We all know how important bicycles have become in modern society. They are useful in transportation and save money on fuel and in return are a great investment. Now I am interested in the topic of exactly how the San Francisco bike shops play an interesting role in the SF bicycle culture. I want to know if they are part of the SF bicycle coalition or not and how long they have been established here in the city and if their prices for parts and repair match that of other competing stores. My plan to investigate and gather research is to make a personal appearance at at least three to five bike stores and conduct a series of approaches to gather evidence. My first idea is to interview workers and owners of stores of each shop I attend to accumulate so more information. My another idea is to create a survey with questions like if shops are part of SFBC and how long they’ve been there. This way all owners and workers are being asked the same questions and there won’t be any bias questions. I’ll still use the interview approach to get information such as prices of things, I still haven’t decided if I will take notes or record the interviews. Thanks!

2 thoughts on “S2 Topic Proposal

1. ja

Jack, great idea. There are a couple of bike shops near campus — in addition to Freewheel, there’s one on Arguello near the Velo Rouge cafe — I forget the name. And American Cyclery is SF’s oldest bike shop — on the corner of Stanyan and Frederick.

2. Jack, also, you might be interested in Huckleberry — a shop that I think is taking a new approach, very community-building. They put on a lot of social events (including rides) and have a lot of content on their site (not just info about brands for sale).
    http://www.huckleberrybicycles.com