american idiom

Image result for cigarettes warning

This image tells us that smoking will cause lung cancer and we need to quit cigarettes. It uses pathos and ethos that so many cigarettes butt form the shape of a lung to warn people that smoking is bad for our health. Also, it uses logos to tell people that smoking will kill you

American idioms

Get in Someone’s hair
Children! Would you please stop making so much noise!

And for heaven’s sake, pick up your clothes and toys!

It’s hard enough trying to keep this house clean without your throwing your things all over the place!

Clara, I know that the children get in your hair, but you should try not to let it upset you so much.

Listen, Jim. I can’t help it . The children bother me and make me very angry when they’re so noisy and messy.

Shoot Off One’s Mouth
Jim doesn’t play tennis very much, but he’s always shooting off his mouthabout how good he is. Yet he’s fooling nobody. Jim is somewhat of a braggart and everyone knows that he gives opinions without knowing all the facts and talks as if he knew everything about the game.
Pay Through the Nose
At last Mr. Smith came upon the rare stamp he had been seeking at an auction. Since many other stamp collectors would also be bidding for it, he realized that he would have to pay through the nose in order to have it.

After considering the increasing value of the stamp, he decided that he would not mind paying such a high price for something so rare.

Top

Pull Someone’s Leg
Hey, Al. I was invited to be a judge for the Miss America Beauty Pageant!

Oh, really? Come on, you’re pulling my leg!

No, honestly. Do you really think that I’m trying to fool you with a ridiculous story?

Well, you’ve told me foolish stories before.

I can assure you that this one is for real.

Get Off Someone’s Back
Hey, John. I’m bored. Come on, let’s go out and do something.

Sorry, I’m right in the middle of studying for a physics exam. I won’t be able to make it tonight.

You’ve been studying for a long time. Why don’t you take a break ? Come on! Let’s go ! Forget studying for a while !

Look! Get off my back! I can’t go anywhere!

OK. I’ll stop bothering you only if you promise to let me know the minute you’re finished.