S2 Presentation Reflection

tim-cook-apple-keynote
I was extremely happy with the presentation; it went exactly how I wanted it to go. My presentation was about the dangers of biking in San Francisco and the different ways cyclists in San Francisco take precaution. I kept my posture and my position as a speaker in the room and was loud enough for everyone to hear without being too obnoxious about it. I modeled my presentation on one of the most famous keynote companies of all time, Apple. The black background that they use over any images or text really makes the audience focus on whatever is on the screen. But just like Apple, the presentations were not jam-packed with information so the audience could easily prioritize the speaker instead of the keynote. Another thing we could learn from Apple that I used in my presentation was the way they used cues for each slide in the presentation. Changing slides at a specific moment in your presentation could create a bigger impact for anyone listening; matching the visuals to the words coming out of the speaker. I also think that I did the conclusion pretty well in correlation to the excerpt about conclusions given in class. During the presentation, the evidence that I collected from around town as well as the research from organizations like SFMTA, San Francisco Bike Coalition and pedbike were shown as well to assure credibility.
I really enjoyed Helen’s presentation because of the photos she had of her out on the field doing research for the project. It made it seem personal and made me find the information she presented more credible. Though she used index cards, her information was presented smoothly; it was obvious that she had a lot of practice before she came into the room that day. I had index cards too so I could only hope to look as well-contained as she did. 
I practiced a lot as well; especially to my roommate who gave me pointers on keeping me under 4 minutes. A lot of information was retracted due to his advice and the presentation seemed a lot more streamlined and was omitted of any excess information by the time we were done. He also helped me choose what visuals to use; the visuals ended up being a split of original photography work from me and stock photos from the internet. The practice was extremely helpful; some people may be able to go on stage and present something without preparation but practice is necessary to have a presentation that is delivered fluidly while being concise and to the point. Though evidence should be presented; it should only be a certain percentage of your presentation. Though evidence does increase credibility, too much evidence can bore the audience and you can lose their attention very quickly.
I also enjoyed Breanna’s presentation on Uber v Bikes because it gave me a perspective that I had never thought of before. Whenever I get in on an Uber, there are times when they would end up parking in the bike lanes for convenience sake but I assumed that the flashing emergency light would make everything legal. But this is not the case and Breanna’s presentation showed me this insight. All in all, for my S3 Presentation, I would still do a lot of the same things I did in this presentation but this time I would better remember my own cues to the presentation to have the entire talk have more of an impact to the audience.