For a long time, my stepson, Jonathan, was unhappy to have me as part of his family. For he resented that he doesn’t have both biological parents at home. I tried to get to know him better, but he would complaine that I invaded his privacy. As a newcomer, I understood that our relationship would require effort from both of us. It was not enough that I was friendly. Jonathan also had to want us to be friends, and I was not happy with the two of us being strangers, but I could wait for him to feel more comfortable around me.

Anne Marie collected antique bottles and loved to turn them into works of art. She would buy bottles if she liked them, but she preferred to find them in the ground. She would find bottles everywhere, but she picked them selectively. However, she has the best luck at construction sites on old farmland, where she spent most of her time. Often, bottles appeared on the surface after a good rain, but they disappeared very soon. She would use special tools for excavating bottles, including a set of brushed. She did not want to break the bottles as she removes them from the ground. After finding a new bottle, Anne Marie will added it to her display case and hung on the wall as an artistic piece (Mangelsdorf, 2013, p. 411).

lemon   defective

eating you     bothering and upsetting you

feeling like a million dollars   feeling so wonderful

gone to the dogs        become run-down and in serious need of repair

fishy        strange and suspicious