October 18

Finding my way back…

When I began college I had no idea what I wanted to do for a career. I was 18 and just excited to start college and be on my own. I chose English as my major because it was a subject I always enjoyed and I always excelled in it. As I got closer to my graduation date, I decided to pursue teaching with my English degree and add a minor in Education. My time spent in college working towards this goal was amazing! I loved my volunteer work and enjoyed my college classes, but I still had my hesitations about teaching. Once I graduated college I moved back home and continued to chase after this career. During this time I had some really good experiences, and one bad experience that ruined it all. It was actually my former high school that ultimately stopped my path to becoming a teacher. A new vice principal at my former high school kept giving me the run around for volunteering at the school. I needed volunteer hours in order to complete a prerequisite for another program I was working towards at the time. I called him one day and explained my urgency and want to volunteer at my former high school and he went off on me and told me I should probably pursue a different career. His behavior was unwarranted and uncalled for and made me cry. I had already had my doubts if I would make a good educator(I’m really hard on myself) and hearing him say I shouldn’t pursue this career made me completely give up on the idea. 

So I listened to him and pursued a corporation job. I began as an office manager and worked my way up to being a sales representative for dental equipment. For the last three years this has been my life, and while at first it was new and exciting, it quickly got old and repetitive. I realized I didn’t enjoy being in an office all day and I didn’t like the mentality and “cut-throat” ways of sales. I didn’t find any passion or fulfillment from this job and found myself thinking about teaching again.

My boyfriend’s grandpa was a teacher and I decided to ask him about his past career. His excitement and love for teaching was adamant and he told me it felt like he was never really at work. He said it was a job that could use my creativity, my open-mindness and patience, and ultimately fulfill my need to help others. After talking to him, I knew it was time for me to pursue teaching again. This time when I began my journey I was sure this was what I wanted and I knew that my personality and drive to help others was a perfect match for teaching. I finally feel certain of my future and excited. For the first time ever I know what I want to be and how I will go about pursuing this goal. It’s really a huge relief for me and I’ve never been so happy.

Posted October 18, 2018 by brputman in category Becoming Teachers

2 thoughts on “Finding my way back…

1. lxjiang

It’s really unfortunate that people who are not passionate about their careers deter others from choosing that same career. Teaching definitely isn’t for everyone, but for some of us it’s what we’ve always known we wanted to do. I know we’ll never be super “rich” in terms of monetary wealth, but we’ll be fulfilled and rich in so many other ways because we’re doing what we are really passionate about. So glad your boyfriend’s grandpa reminded you of how awesome teaching is!

Reply
  2. Jessica

Brittney, I think many of us share these experiences of people trying to push us out of what we want for ourselves. I think that this what is going to make us stronger teachers who truly know that this is their passion. I, for one, an grateful for having someone talk me out of it. It’s awesome that your boyfriend’s grandpa was able to share his excitement and get you excited about your career and that you have a strong support system behind you!

Reply