Professor David Donahue, McCarthy Center Director
This past year has been one of strategic planning and reflecting on where we’ve been over the past 15 years. From the vision of former Lt. Governor and co-founder, Leo T. McCarthy to the “crystal” anniversary this 2017-18 academic year, the Center has continued to prepare students for meaningful civic and political engagement along with meeting community-identified needs.
As part of our process, we listened to community partners, advisory board members, faculty, staff, and students. We received plenty of advice about how to carry out our mission in challenging times. We also learned what we do well. We heard from over 50 partners on and off campus who described the McCarthy Center and its work:
- Truly committed to partnering and investing in the community through high quality partnerships
- The McCarthy Center is an “action tank”
- Students interact/immerse themselves into communities or civic society in meaningful ways that teach and transform them
- Provides immersive and comprehensive experience for students to engage in action and reflection regarding privilege/impact/social awareness
- Thoughtful, critical, reciprocal community engagement; encourages folks to ask hard questions
- Actualizes the USF mission and vision to “fashion a more just and human world”
These quotations highlight our strengths as thoughtful educators, critical partners, and mission-driven advocates for social justice. The Center’s report shows shining examples of this throughout the past year. All of this is possible because of your support. On behalf of students, faculty, staff and all of our partners, we thank you!
Professor David Donahue
Director, Leo T. McCarthy Center