Wooly paintbrush – Upper Mt. Tam

Date: April 26, 2018

Location: Upper Mount Tamalpais State Park

Latitude: 37.9235° N, Longitude: 122.5965° W, Elevation: 2,572 ft.

Site Description: Mount Tamalpais, located in Marin County, is a site known to provide for great hikes and camping sites. Additionally, Mount Tamalpais have many hillside habitats and serpentine soils as well. Mount Tampalpais adjoins the Golden Gate National Recreation Area as well as several Marin County Open Space Preserves, providing for nearly 40 miles of continuously publicly accessible open space.

Species: The wooly paintbrush, also known as castilleja foliosa in the orobanchaceae family, is a perennial herb to subshrub. The stem is short with axillary shoots present. The inflorescence consists of orange-red flowers that are entire or barely notched on sides. The leaves have obtuse tips and lobes 0-3.

Narrative: On the way to upper Mt. Tam, I got quite car sick, as we were going pretty high up a windy road. However, once we got there and I was able to get some fresh air, I really enjoyed the scenery with the nice clear and sunny weather. We also passed by West Point Inn where Prof Paul said there were pancakes, so I could not stop thinking about strawberry pancakes the rest of the trip. Mmmm…

Skip to toolbar