February 22nd Extra Credit

In this seminar, I found it very interesting how all different cultures could come together and relate on a common level. Usually, awkward experiences can bond people together in some situations. Each four of the speakers could talk about the uncomfortable experiences they had moving to America from their country. Each of them came from a very diverse culture where their lives had different values, beliefs, and traditions. The most common challenge they all faced was the language barrier. Communication is something we take for granted, but when you are in a foreign country you might not be able to walk right up to someone and express yourself. Trying to find normal health care or simple life essentials. Additionally, this goes for everyone trying to blend into the community and fitting in was also a bit harder for all of them. As an end result, they are all doing something really important with their lives and the big change was worth it. I think they all had an influential effect on me by reminding me to step out of my boundaries and take risks. I really enjoyed spending time listening to what they each had to say and get more insight on their lives as foreigners.