April 27, 2018

Free Write

The one main idea that I keep coming across is how blue collar work teaches you things that you may not necessarily learn in a textbook or if you pursue a higher education. Society seems to look down on the blue collar or working class because they believe that they are just lazy to pursue a higher education. But in reality sometimes people are forced into this labor because of their family background or even if they just do not see a purpose for college. In the article by Crawford he discusses how he received a Ph. D. and struggled to find a job within the work force so he settles down and decides to do something that still challenges him and something he has fun with.

The attitudes towards these manual working jobs in my opinion are wrong because people within society believe that college is the answer for everybody and if you do not go to college you are “stupid.” Some people who decide to work these jobs not only enjoy their job but it is something they want to do that does not require a higher education. If we did not have people to work these jobs who would be doing it? I have experience in doing manual labor and in my opinion it was not something that I loved to do but it was definitely an experience that has taught me how to be more personable and a harder worker. People who saw me at work would think that I am not doing anything with my life but little did they know that I was actually attending a four year university pursuing a better job that I actually love and want to do.

In the article by Crawford he discusses how he received a Ph. D. and struggled to find a job within the work force. Pursuing a higher education does not guarantee anything in regards to money, benefits, and even happiness. The main thing being happiness and the emotion behind work, such as working conditions, your coworkers, or even the company/people you work for.