March 26, 2018

My individual learning has not really been affected by class, at least not anything too significant for me to remember. When I was younger, I often felt “lower” than someone else because of the material items, such as high brand clothing or technology. I had a friend that was an only child and her parents would let her buy whatever she wanted, when she wanted. This was not the same for me. Although my parents provide me with everything I need and try to give me things I desire (and I am so appreciative of this), I would always feel like I needed to compensate in order to hang out with her. As I grew up, I realized that these things did not matter and I am happy with what I have. And I am so glad that I have realized this because it has allowed me to be happier and save more money!

My individual learning has been affected by culture and race in that sometimes stereotypical expectations are hard to be met realistically. There is a stereotype that all Asians are smart or really good at math. Well, I am not the best at math and when people realize this, the stereotype is brought up. It is not so much prevalent today, but when I was younger, it was a thing that people referred to quite often. It made me feel discouraged when being in the classroom because sometimes I would be too scared to ask questions, I’d be too scared to even ask for help, which as you can imagine worsened my math grades even more so. It also impacted my self-esteem in that I thought I was not good enough and I was not intelligent because of one weakness. But again, as I grew up I realized that stereotypes are not accurate and are irrelevant. Yes they can be fun jokes at times, but they should not be taken seriously. We cannot box people into having certain traits or characteristics based on background. This also made me realize that it is okay to not be good at everything, it is okay to have weaknesses because with weaknesses come strengths.