April 27, 2018

Free Writing

The first thing that comes to mind when thinking of jobs in the most general of terms is my parents. They work in the same building, essentially doing the same tasks. They both really dislike their jobs, but this is what they have to do in order to thrive individually and collectively as a family. Because they feel this way about their jobs, they encourage me to find a better job that makes me happy and that can support me financially. This then makes me think of the judgment that comes with what jobs people have. Although it may be a useful way to determine a person’s lifestyle, I would like to think that there is more to a person than just their job. People are quick to judge when they see a person at a tall skyscraper building versus a person fixing the streets. Although yes this can suggest that the person in the skyscraper is probably wealthier and better off, maybe so-and-so is not a good, genuine person. Is money and success the only thing that determines a person? That can be used to decide if that person is worthy or not? In our society today, I think that this stigma behind blue collar jobs is inefficient in creating an environment where all jobs are appreciated. Without majority of the lower-ended jobs, we would not be able to go about our everyday lifestyles because most of the times, those jobs contribute a lot to our daily lives. Whereas, those who get paid significantly more are maybe not positively impacting our society yet they get more praise because of 1. the money, 2. the image, and 3. the idea of power.