0

February 12 , 2018

My narrative is about my experience as a foreigner in the US, and the day I realized not everyone was happy about international borders. It began with a nine year old me crossing the San Diego border to go to elementary school. The day was like every other, and the line into the US had been unusually long. When it was our turn to pass through the car scan, the custom at the border insulted my dad. He threw the passports at us, and said we were pests coming into the country. He continued with obscenities, to which my dad had to remain quiet because muttering a word could have our sentri cards removed. In my 3 years studying in the US, never had this happened. That day changed the way in which I saw two neighboring countries with a big rift. Subsequent to the insults, we were sent to secondary inspection. Where my dad requested to talk to the supervisor of the custom patrols. He laughed it off saying it was a “white man’s” customary daily joke. It was that moment that a certain kind of innocence was replaced with “why’s”. We were looked down upon by people who were consumed with racist ideas about mexicans. For years I have tried to understand what their problem truly is. However, as the years progressed the same hostility was beginning to plague Mexico. So much that in 2013 Mexico put up an international border with armed soldiers at every corner. Perhaps it was a means of protecting national pride, however, the problem with it is not so much the structures regulating in and out from one country and another. The problem is that instead of creating peace, it has become a matter of hostility.

I think such a narrative will offer the audience an understanding of racial discrimination, and hostility of brother countries. I think it is important to be exposed to these problems, to expose their severity.  It demonstrates the tension of neighboring countries. Perhaps it can be eye opening in order to work for change rather than worsen international  and racial relationships.

rdflores