In Denmark, the college education stands out from the college education in the U.S. in many ways. First of all, you don’t have to pay to go to university in Denmark, but instead you actually get paid every month. This is a result of high taxes, so the Education is paid through this. By this every person can get an Education which makes culturally superiority a non-playing factor. When applying for a College in Denmark you apply for a certain major which has its own GPA and course requirements. This makes the highly popular majors as International Business and Law tough to get into. Also, Geography plays a Big part for example it can be possible to get into a Business major outside the City. In the U.S. the College Education is over Four years and not three as in Denmark. This gives less hours of studying as the hours are spread out over an extra Year. A big difference too is that Denmark is such a small country, so people don’t live on campus the same way as here. In Denmark, there are no such thing as college sports and fraternities but more a culture together with your fellow classmates. In terms of how the system is build, I would prefer the Danish version, but when it comes to social life and sports I believe the U.S. version has more to offer.
Reading response to Raha
- The American Dream is less possible during the current times
- Agree on making inequality fall would benefit the society
- Both found the link between income inequality and physical pain interesting, but I wanted to have more evidence in terms of more numbers.
- “What do you think of these ideas from both essays? A thesis?”
Adrees my own ideas clearly in the thesis statement and not only the key points from what I have read
- “Consider starting with summaries from both essays before synthesizing ideas.”
Summarise each essay before beginning to analyze and synthesize ideas.
- “Support from a relevant source helps strengthen your point here.”
I understand that I should (in this case) include an outside source to support my statement at the end.
- “Good way to present key ideas to conclude the essay; also, adding more as to what you could learn after reading these essays would make your conclusion more relevant to the discussion.”
In the future, I will have an additional focus on presenting what I have learned in order to make my conclusion stronger.
- “References are done in alphabetical order, and book or journal titles are italicized (please see APA references pdf file under Modules).”
Remember to use alphabetical order and italicize titles of books and journals.
I now have more experience with the American way of writing a paper. Understanding how to include and use a thesis statement was new to me, but as i mentioned in the responses to the comments, I will now be able to clearly present my own opinion/idea. I am now more comfortable making a reference list using APA.
Freda & Romeo
- The reality show follows the lives of Bruce and Kris Jenner’s combined family, and most of the episodes focus on the three oldest daughters, Kourtney, Kim, and Khloé Kardashian.
- Bruce Jenner was famous for breaking the world record and winning a gold medal in the decathlon at the 1976 Olympics; now his sons from a previous marriage, Brandon and Brody, have also appeared on their own reality shows.
- The Kardashians’ father, the late attorney Robert Kardashian, was famous for representing O. J. Simpson. Also, his daughters gained recognition as American socialites.
- Even though Kim came into the national spotlight in 2007 after a sex- tape scandal and resulting Playboy appearance, the Kardashian fame grew into a profitable reality series.
- The show depicts the daily routine of the Kardashians, and spin-off shows feature Kourtney, Kim, and Khloé’s attempts to build their line of fashion boutiques.
- The Kardashians’ behavior at first seemed outrageous, but they are a loving family.
- Although the Kardashians squabble like typical siblings, Kris, the mother, holds the family together.
- Although Kim’s $ 10 million wedding to pro basketball player Kris Humphries in 2011 was seen by an estimated 10.5 million viewers, the marriage lasted only 72 days.
I have chosen Shady Raba´s response.
- College should educate well-rounded students
He explains how every course can help develop as a person which I agreed on.
- Students should not deal with having student debt when graduating and starting to work.
He puts it into perspective by mentioning how students do not have to pay for their education in a country like Germany. In my response, I mentioned how I felt it sad that a high amount of graduates have student debt.
Raha, Romeo & Shirley
It has a clear message of taking a management major at USF will benefit you.
The sounds match the images (there is no interrupting sound).
It uses multiple modes (interview, alphabetical text).
In the interviews, they invite people with enough information and credibility.
Raha, Romeo & Shirley
- Audio and video editing skills
- More than one mode
- Group project
- Analyze and use three sources
- Video length of 3-4 minutes
- Use of editing (sounds, videos etc.)
We liked how they used a lot of interviews. They use graduate students as they have credibility as they have completed the major. Therefore, what they are saying must be true. We also liked how the video includes multiple modes as alphabetical text, images, and voiceover. If we have at negative aspects, the video could have been more interesting by showing the campus or some scenes of the teaching in class.
- Katie felt limited pictorial options as a result of her script which made her use a lot of alphabetical text in her video.
- Candice decided to focus more on images during her process with her video as she found it hard to synthesis her script in her film shooting.
- I will need to use the script as guidance to where i want end and not where I have to end, it has to help me be more creative instead of being a limitation.
Mindy, Raha & Romeo
- The education system is designed in a way that mainly makes students focus more on grades rather than the learning process. The focus is on getting higher grades and learning certain skills rather than expanding your perspective and learning to think critically.
- It is important to learn a combination of marketable skills and critical thinking.
- At some point into a student´s overall time in school, it is necessary to narrow down your topics of study as you want to specialize in a certain field.
Reading: Floyd, Amber. “A “Dream” Deferred: An Exploration of the Scarlet Title “Undocumented““
The essay discusses different opinions on the proposed “Dream Act”. The ideas of the essay are both reasons why people are proposing and why people are against it. The main idea from the proposing side is that studying children of immigrant families should get a change of pursuing a higher education. This was also the main idea behind the creation of “Dream Act”:”The Dream Act was created in hopes that students who were brought to America by their parents illegally would be safe from deportation, given the opportunity to receive an education and eventually be on the path to obtaining legal citizenship”, (Floyd. p. 183). The main idea from the opposing side is that it will cost the society a lot of money resulting in increasing taxes which will lead to even more difficulties for poor American families to pay for college. Floyd implies this by using a quote from a former Senator of Buffalo, New York, Mark Grisanti:”simply cannot justify spending tens of millions of taxpayer dollars annually to pay for tuition for illegal immigrants when so many law-abiding families are struggling to meet the ever-increasing costs of higher education for their own children”, (Floyd. p.185). This quote clearly illustrates the opposing opinion that has be taken into consideration when discussion whether to legislate the “Dream Act” or.
1) “Money talks”: This means that money speaks the way of peoples actions, an example is why a soccer player decides to go to a lower leveled team and division in order to earn more money.
2) “Cough up”: This means coming up with something, an example is coming up with money that you owe someone.
3) “For the birds”: When something is boring to you, can be used when watching an uninteresting TV-show with your girlfriend.
4) “Play it by the ear”: This means to just see/follow what happens instead of having made a plan, an example when going to a festival without having decided which artist to watch that day.
5) “Fishy”: When something is suspicious, can be used when talking about someone walking around the store and looking after cameras and people.