0

New York Times Article Response

“If Kant Were a New York Cyclist” was a quite an interesting article that I do not agree with but find myself acting the same way the writer does. I think that bike laws can safe and proper for the road but I also think they do not always need to be necessary. When I ride my bike on the streets, I find myself slowly running through the stop signs that don’t seem as important. Red lights and other serious traffic laws I feel are necessary and should not be taken objectively. The article “Is it OK to Kill Cyclists?” is something that resonates with me. I have known someone who was skating on the sidewalk and killed by a reckless driver. I am also aware of all the cycling deaths that take place in highly populated cities. I feel that drivers who kill cyclists and pedestrians who are not under the influence should have their licenses taken away and attend safety classes but not be jailed. It is a hard situation for a driver who may feel terrible about a death they are responsible for causing. If cyclists all follow the laws with the hopes of drivers doing the same, the number of deaths can diminish.

rsilva6