March 9, 2018

A  controversial topic that I researched about is the issue of genetically modified foods or GMO foods. According to Wikipedia, they state GMO foods as “foods produced from organisms that have had changes introduced into their DNA using the methods of genetic engineering.” This article provided disputes over the use of foods derived from GMO crops instead of conventional crops, and other uses of genetic engineering in food production. Specific topics that Wikipedia discusses include the mixing of genetically modified and non-genetically modified products in the food supply, effects of GMOs on the environment, the rigor of the regulatory process, and consolidation of control of the food supply in companies that make and sell GMOs. The controversial issue that was brought up included the health risks that genetically engineered foods have on humans and the environment.  This article does not change the way I evaluate its contents because I understand that the public has access to these documents and can change the language to fit their opinions and bias.  However, they do provide the cited references and include their sources on the bottom, so I am able to check if the information is reliable.