“Canvas Commons is a learning object repository that enables educators to find, import, and share resources. A digital library full of educational content, Commons allows Canvas users to share learning resources with other users as well as import learning resources into a Canvas course.”
What is a Learning Object?
Learning objects are reusable content created by yourself or others that you can use in your technology-enhanced class.
Learning objects are a new way of thinking about learning content. Instead of providing all of the material for an entire course or lecture, a learning object provides material for a discrete lesson or sub-lesson within a larger course.
Some examples of learning objects are:
- Entire modules of content created and shared by other educators
- Pages of content
- Simulations for STEM
In general, learning objects:
- Are self-contained – each learning object can be consumed independently
- Are reusable – a single learning object may potentially be used in multiple contexts for multiple purposes, and most can be edited
- Can be aggregated – learning objects can be grouped into larger collections, allowing for their inclusion within a traditional course structure (for example a series of videos)
- Are tagged with metadata – every learning object has descriptive information allowing it to be easily found by a search – which facilitates the object being used by others
- Learning objects allow for learning that is:
- Just enough – if you decide to re-use or remix some content from an open access course, you can select and use only the learning objects in the course that you need: One example of this is to just use the quizzes from a course, or the videos, or a selection of both
- Just in time – learning objects are searchable, you can instantly find and take the content you need
- Just for you – learning objects allow for easy customization of courses
Content above partially taken from The Learning Objects Studio.
Learning Objects in Canvas Commons
Canvas has created a handbook as an overview of Canvas Commons. You can download a copy by clicking on this link.
There are specific search buttons for each category of item you could use in an online Canvas course.
Below are some examples of learning objects you can find by using search categories in Canvas Commons.
There are course modules for every discipline
There are thousands of modules and objects available via Canvas Commons; check it out today!