“Young idler, an old beggar” it is quite different with the chinese meaning. If you don’t work hard when you are young, it is no use to be sad when you are old. But when I use Google translate, the meaning doesn’t feel quite the same with the original meaning. “A thousand miles begins with a single step.” We should start from small things and do it slowly. Nothing can be accomplished at once. “Sea memory confidant, the end of the world.” “Naturally, I will use it.”
I found that Google translate sometimes made grammatical mistakes, and it was too straightforward to be mixed with emotion. However, I think Google translate it’s good for us to learn a new words. Usually, we do not know how to explain what we want, and Google translate its good tool to use. But we cannot rely on it.
1. We find This is hard evidence, because it shows statistic.
2. We think this statement is contributed by hard evidence, because we find this sentence use DNA as hard evidence.
3. This statement is hard evidence, because we think this statement shows “a psychologist testified”.
4. We find this statement is constructed argument, because there is no evidence, only shows reason.
5. This statement is constructed argument, because it’s a conclusion, there is no illustration why.
6. It’s constructed argument, because this is only common sense, not evidence.
Because she used this evidence in her essay, but she did not write this information as reference.
He did not write reference.
She needs to write references, even her own essay.
They cannot copy directly from the Internet.
She did not copy anything from the internet, and she has her own words.
For me, “language and power” is very essential in our life. Language is of great importance to people. It represents the culture of a country. Language is also used in People’s daily life to express their views and emotions. So we should realize the importance of language. The article “why save a language” was wrote by John Mcwhorter, and was published Dec. 4, 2014. In the article, the author states that “The answer I’m supposed to give is that each language, in the way it applies words to things and in the way its grammar works, is a unique window on the world.” We can see from this sentence that language even represents the wisdom of a place. Why do we talk about power when we talk about language? Because language is very powerful to all over the world.
Mcwhorter, J. (2014, Dec 4). Why save a language. The New York Times. Retrieved from: https://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/07/opinion/sunday/why-save-a-language.html?login=google
1. The reality shows follow the lives of Bruce and Kris Jenner’s combined family. Most of the episodes focus on the three oldest daughters, Kourtney, Kim, and KhloéKardashian.
2. Bruce Jenner was famous for breaking the world. He recorded and won a gold medal in the decathlon at the 1976 Olympics. His sons from a previous marriage, Brandon and Brody. They have also appeared on their own reality shows.
3. The Kardashians’ father was the late attorney Robert Kardashian and was famous for representing O. J. Simpson. His daughters gained recognition as American socialites.
4. Kim came into the national spotlight in 2007. After a sex- tape scandal, it resulted Playboy appearance. The Kardashian fame grew into a profitable reality series.
5. The show depicts the daily routine of the Kardashians, and spin- off shows feature Kourtney, Kim, and Khloé’sattempts to build their line of fashion boutiques.
6. The Kardashians’ behavior at first seemed outrageous, but they are a loving family.
7. The Kardashians squabble like typical siblings and Kris, and the mother holds the family together.
8. Kim’s $ 10 million wedding to pro basketball player Kris Humphries in 2011 who was seen by an estimated 10.5 million viewers. However, the marriage lasted only 72 days.
1. Play it by ear: it’s easy to use in our daily life. Like, if you do not know what your schedule today, but someone ask you to go to watch movies, you can say “play it by ear.”
2. Get off someone’s back: For example, someone ask you to do something in outsides, howvever, you do not want to go out. And he asks you again and again, you can see “get off my back.”
3. Pull someone’s leg: if your friends tried to make jokes about you, you can say “you pull my leg.”
4. All thumbs: my mom always says that I’m all thumbs because when I clean my room, I always make some troubles.
5. turn someone off: because my brother likes play computer games, my mom always asks him to go to join some activities and turns his off.
The article “loneliness is bad for your health. An app may help” was wrote by Gretchen Reynolds, and was published on Feb. 20, 2019. The author finds out how to reduce our loneliness. The author uses logos to illustate his article. The article is very logical, and also he mainly introduces how they find out the app will help people to decrease loneliness. It will make article more reliable, and the reader will believe the article. From ethos, in the article, the author quotes the professor David Creswell “an associate professor of psychology at Carnegie Mellon” words to prove his argument. The article seems to have more credibility. From pathos, the author posts a picture that everyone sit together, and tried to become peaceful. The picture also can proves that an app will reduce people loneliness. For me, the article is mainly appearing about Logos.
I chose the picture from 2017 Pulitzer Prize winner. This picture presents that Rohingya refugees see smoke on the myanmar border as they sail through Bangladesh in September 11, 2017. The picture shows the thick smog caused by smoking, which seriously pollutes the air and the places where people live. There are three people in the picture, all carrying heavy articles. I think it must be the local people are preparing to leave their hometown. I think that using image is quite useful way to make argument more reliable.
This picture uses pathos, because this is a very bad thing when smoking pollutes their home, and everyone is prepared to live. So, their faces were glum, however, they had to no choice, they must get far away their houses and look for a new place. Also, it is logical that they are all carrying heavy luggage to evacuate, because the smoke has damaged their homes. It can let audiences for pretty sure that there was bad air in the myanmar border. For ethos, this picture was post on Pulitzer Prize, so it can brings credibility to audiences believed.
A man from the city came to visit a small farm, and he saw a farmer feeding pigs in a very strange way. The farmer would lift a pig up to a nearby apple tree, and then the pig would eat the apples directly off the tree. The farmer would move the pig from one apple to another until the pig was full. After that, he would start again with another pig.
The man from the city was pretty puzzled, after watching for quiet a while, finally said, “What a strange way to feed pigs! It’s a waist of time! You could save a whole much time if you just shook the apples off the tree and let the pigs eat them from the ground!” The farmer looked puzzled and replied, “What’s time to a pig?”
A young man waited in line at the bank. He developed a loud case of hiccups, and got worse and worse. By the time, he got to the teller’s window, but he couldn’t hardly talk and handed the teller his check to cash.
The teller tapped numbers into the computer. In a moment, the teller looked up and frowned. “I can’t cash your check,” she said.
The man was shocked. “Why not?” he asked.
“The computer indicates you do not have sufficient funds to cover this amount,” she said, “in fact our records show that your account is overdrawn by more than $5000.00.”
“It can’t be!” cryed by the man, “you’ve got to be kidding!”
“You are right. I am,” she smiled. She started counting out his cash. “You will notice that your hiccups are gone, though!”
The author introduce the background that he learned English at first, he was not an excellent student in the English class. He also mentions that there is a movie called “lion king” changes him life. So, he uses this movie as his background. He went England for middle school, and he tries him best to learn English. Sometimes, no one realizes that he comes from another country, because his speaking is pretty good. In his high school, his parents sent him to the New York. He found that there are different accent between English and America. So, he gave up British accent and started American accent. Finally, he found that the interesting thing that learning a English is talking people in this language. I think this video is pretty good, at first he introduces his background about his interest in English. However, I think the author introduces too many things, and there was no specific thing that he states. He was not only mentions that the story came from his middle school, but also story came from high school. In this way, it will giving audiences are quit confused about what author wants audiences really know. Also, I did see the movie “lion king” that author mentions has connect with his audio.
I wan to make a video for person that I admire. He used to be my Freach teacher in China. But also he is my friend. When he was senior in university, he became my French teacher. He is in charge of a 30 students class’s French language teaching. He always said to us that his motto is 3p elements, which stand for professional, passionate, and patient. He adopts a statistic method of teaching instead of memorizing French grammar and vocabulary. Also, he is a good interpreter. After he’s graduation, he found a job in a well know campaign in China. He’s job is to do French and English interpretation for the president of the campaign. He also attended some big events, like APEC or G20 summit. He always shared with me his feeling after these experiences. So, his working experiences inspire me a lot. Also, he is a friend that I can always turn to him for help. When I arrived in America, it was hard time for me at first. Because everything was so different and it took a long time for me to adop life here. During that time, he always called me, wrote a letter for me and used his own story to encourage me. His calls really help me a lot to get through that sorrowful time.