0

Field Lab 8: Valley Center Mountain Lookout (2)

Date: 04/16/20

Location: Mountain lookout in Valley Center, CA, 33.20210°N, -116.99170°W, elevation = 1,312′

Site description: The mountainside Valley Center lookout once again served as an ideal location for me to complete a non-traveling session of bird spotting. Surrounding the lookout were large groups of pine and eucalyptus trees as well as medium sized trees and bushes. To the left side was an open wooden shed where I found the same large group of Common Ravens loudly and chaotically gathered. Like last time, many of the birds in the area were very vocal, and I noticed higher activity in some key bird species that were flying between multiple medium sized trees. Unlike last time, loud construction was occurring nearby which made listening for bird calls a lot more difficult. I also noticed that the construction caused many of the bird species to flee the surrounding area. Some key species I was able to spot was a Great Horned Owl and a few White-throated Swifts.

Species account: Great Horned Owl, Bubo virginianus. Approximately 5 minutes into my excursion I began to hear a low “hooting” coming from a large pine tree on the side of the hill. Knowing that Great Horned Owls are the most common owl species located in my area, I confirmed this spotting by playing back a bird call recording of this particular owl. I was very excited to spot this owl because I have noticed their common presence ever since I was a child. Great Horned Owls have a dark brown and gray plumage that covers their entire body, a whiter underwing, and large ear tufts pointing upwards. These owls can be found in wooded areas, prairies, or deserts where they commonly hunt small mammals, birds and reptiles.

Narrative: I reached the lookout area off of a mountainside in Valley Center at approximately 11:45AM on Thursday, April 16th. The weather was once again sunny and clear with minimal winds and temperatures around the lower 80s. Unlike last time, I did not initially hear many bird calls in the area. The nearby construction was slightly disruptive to the peaceful environment I was accustomed to, however, I was able to identify a few bird species later on in my excursion. The first bird I identified was based on their familiar undulating flight pattern and bright orange underbelly (American Robin). Following this spotting I began to fear a faint low hooting coming from a large pine tree about 50 yards away from the lookout and successfully identified my first owl species: the Great Horned Owl.

eBird: https://ebird.org/checklist/S67319813

cameronlucian