Onigiri Action @ USF
Thursday, Feb. 4, 2021
6:00-7:30 p.m., Online
Want to learn how to make a healthy Japanese snack–onigiri, or “rice ball”–while doing good? The USF Center for Asia Pacific Studies invites you to participate in a small and interactive cooking workshop with socially responsible aims. Join us for Onigiri Action — this community building activity will consist of a 1 hour cooking workshop and a half an hour of social time in small breakout rooms. Participating in food security activism and getting to know members of the USF Asia Pacific Studies community has never been so fun!
Together we will explore the history and nutritional benefits of onigiri while learning how we can help the nonprofit organization Table for Two (TfT). Onigiri Action is TfT’s annual social good campaign that provides five school meals for nutritionally insecure students around the world each time someone takes a photo of homemade onigiri and posts it with the hashtag #OnigiriAction. Since its launch in 2015, the Onigiri Action campaign has provided meals for millions of children in Southeast Asia, East Africa, and cities in the U.S.
We’ve made it easy for you to help! You commit to showing up and we will provide the instructions, the ingredients and tools, and the community. Each participant will receive a free onigiri-making kit that includes a cooking bandana, packed rice, furikake, tuna & mayo, and a panda-shaped onigiri mold. You will also have the chance to win a Japanese cookbook as a special prize!
Space is limited to 30 students. Reserve your spot today! This event is open to current USF undergraduate and graduate students.
To Sign Up:
- Check your calendar and make sure you are free on Thursday, Feb. 4, 2021 from 6:00-7:30 p.m.
- Commit to making sure that if you sign up, you show up. Space is limited and connected directly to meal donations so we want to make sure that students who sign up will represent USF on Feb. 4th and help us reach our goal!
- Register for the event via this link: https://rsvp.usfca.edu/onigiri-action
- When registering please list your USF email account
- Once your registration has been confirmed, we will send you a link to sign Table for Two’s waiver.
- Confirmed participants will receive a code to use to receive the Onigiri Action kit (free of charge). Kits will need to be ordered at least 2 weeks in advance in order to the name and address of the person who signed up for the event to ensure delivery before the event.