Asia Bridge Junior Fellowship Research Presentations, 2021-2022

You are cordially invited to this showcase of students’ year-long research projects. Each presentation will last approximately 10 minutes, followed by 5 minutes for Q & A. 

Thursday, May 5, 2022

11:45 a.m. – 12:45 p.m. (PT)

KA 311 

REGISTER HERE

EVENT DETAILS:

First Presenter: Eshita Kalidindi, “Education, Technology and Mental Health: The Impact of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Educational Inequalities in India”

Hello everyone! I’m Eshita Kalidindi (she/hers) and I’m a sophomore Psychology major with a minor in Entrepreneurship & Innovation here at USF. Growing up in India, and living there through the pandemic, I have firsthand experience of how the pandemic has impacted education in India. Using current news reports and educational survey data, my Asia Bridge research project examines how the pandemic has furthered the urban-rural divide in India because of unequal access to technology. I also explore the impact on children’s mental health as a result of the disruption to education. 

Second Presenter: Celeste Baird, “Pressure to Produce: Traditional Gender Norms, Modernization, and the Reproductive Decisions of Gen Z Women in China”

Hi everyone! My name is Celeste Baird (she/hers). I’m a sophomore International Studies major with a Chinese Studies minor. My paper looks at the perspective of young Generation Z women in China who must navigate pressures to get married and have children. Specifically, I look at how the gendered dynamics of both traditional Chinese social structures and the modernization of China compound the pressure to produce. This topic is particularly important to me because I am adopted from China, and the aftermath of past family planning measures have impacted my own life.

Third Presenter: Sally Yang, “Investigating Trauma-Informed Advocacies to Support Asian Youth in the San Francisco Bay Area”

Hello everyone! My name is Sally Yang (she/hers) and I am a fourth-year Psychology major at the University of San Francisco. I am a first-generation Chinese American and San Francisco native. Through the Asia Bridge Junior fellowship, I explored the stigmas surrounding traumas such as human trafficking and domestic violence and their effect on Asian and Asian American youth. In particular, my research examines trauma-informed advocacies and approaches and how they support the Asian and Asian American youth communities in the San Francisco Bay Area