Meet the 2023-24 Asia Bridge Fellows

The Center for Asia Pacific Studies welcomes its newest cohort of undergraduate and graduate students into the Asia Bridge Fellowship program. Over the coming year, each of these outstanding young scholars–from a range of majors and programs across the university–will prepare a research paper and presentation on an Asia Pacific topic of their choice, organize on-campus events, and build their academic and professional network as they work with mentors in the field.

We’re proud to have these fellows join our Center for Asia Pacific Studies community and look forward to helping them hone the research and professional skills that will serve them in their studies and future careers.

Please see our Asia Bridge Fellows for the Academic Year 2023-2024:

Undergraduate Fellows

Nikaella Mariano

Why I chose USF?
As a once shy and timid person, being welcomed into a space where I can have my voice valued and smile while hearing others’ thoughts redefined my idea of learning: no longer are we confined to basic lectures, but instead we are invited into meaningful ever-evolving conversations.

Why I am interested in the Asia Pacific? 
From the pivotal relationships and traditions nations share among one another, to the countless contributions AAPI communities have infused into our everyday lives, I am both fascinated and dedicated to expanding my understanding of life in the Asia Pacific so I can carry on their positive legacy.

James Burrell

Why I chose USF?
I chose USFCA because of its location and the opportunities off campus which I can and have engaged with.

The economies in East Asia have always been interesting to me. Their growth has and will continue to upend the status quo and it has always been of interest to me to see what is the most important focus for East Asian countries’ governments when they direct their economies.

Sheila Ta

Why I chose USF?
I attended USF because I loved the motto “change the world from here,” as change always starts with ourselves and within our local community. I also loved the diversity that San Francisco has to offer. I love walking everywhere and hearing various languages.

The Asia Pacific region has always been very interesting to learn about. I’ve dabbled in studying some East Asian languages. I’ve really enjoyed learning about how cultural philosophies and social context shape the design of various buildings from temples to storefronts.

Trisha Polakala

Why I chose USF?
I believed that USF would provide me with the most opportunities to achieve my medical school pathway and thrive as a premed student.

I am interested in learning more about the cultures and societies in all the different Asian countries. This will help me draw a better comparison between the daily lives of people in various parts of the world.

Graduate Fellows

Ningjing Xin

Why I chose USF?
I’m really interested in interdisciplinary works and can enjoy so many interesting classes in the MA in Asia Pacific Studies program.

I’m interested in many Chinese writers’ works and East Asia visual art topics, and I can do my research freely here. I really enjoy learning here.

Clayton Chalmers

Why I chose USF?
USF’s MPH program has a unique focus on behavioral health. This fits with my fascination with psychology and human nature. Moreover, USF hosts many diverse perspectives I can learn from.

There are two reasons I am interested in Asia. First, Asia is one of the most geopolitically dynamic regions in the world. Second, I am fascinated by Asian culture and the relationship between the West and Asia. In particular, I want to explore how the West and Asia understand, and misunderstand, each other.

Yen Duong

Why I chose USF?
It offers a degree that I’m interested in.

I’m interested in examining my home country’s educational system compared to other countries in the Asia Pacific.

Miki Izu

Why I chose USF?
I attended USF as an undergrad and was very interested in the research component of the MS IDEC program.

I am very interested in expanding my research scope outside of economics and as an Asian American, East Asian culture and behaviors is near and dear to me.

Jessie Chen

Why I chose USF?
I chose USF because of the social justice focused program. I would like to get trained and eventually serve individuals and families who have been underserved.

I had to leave my culture and home these past ten years to study abroad. As a result, I would like to utilize any opportunity to learn about the strengths and needs from a different cultural perspective.

Dharma Stuart

Why I chose USF?
I chose USF because there are committed professors in areas of my interest. The small campus also lets me make friends easily.

I have 20 years of experience in speaking, reading, and writing Mandarin Chinese and my interest is how Manga and Anime have had a global impact.

Learn more about our Asia Bridge Fellowship Program »