0

Dons' Doings: Communication Studies Game Day, Lady Dons Basketball Dec. 5th!

Hello everyone!  One week from today, on Sunday, December 5th, at 2:00 in the afternoon, we will be holding our third Communication Studies Game Day (and the last for this semester), this time at the women’s basketball game!  The Lady Dons will be taking on UC Santa Barbara at War Memorial Gym.  Before I give you more details, let me explain the Communication Studies Game Day program.  Now, no one has ever described me as “athletic,” but I have always been a big sports fan.  My husband and I have gone to many USF games over the years, and we always have a great time, but we noticed that the turnout is not always great.  So, I came up with the idea for Communication Studies Game Days, where we, as a department, go to a game where we have majors on the team to show our support for our student athletes.  I am not one to brag, so I am just going to stick with the objective facts.  Our first Game Day was at the men’s soccer game vs. Gonzaga, and our Dons won 2-0, their first conference win.  Our second Game Day was at the women’s soccer game, and the Lady Dons beat Gonzaga 3-1, their first conference win.  So, I think it is clear: Communication Studies Game Days bring an extra bit of good luck to our Dons!  I think everyone who has been to one can confirm that we have a great time (comment here to back me up if you have been to a Game Day!).  I mean, a Communication Studies banner is involved.  Need I say more? 

Back to the game this coming weekend.  We will be supporting three Communication Studies majors on the team: #1 Rheina Ale, #22 Katy Keating, and #45 Mel Khlok.  These women are modest, but I have been following their performance this year, and they are GREAT!  Rheina helped change the momentum of the most recent game vs. Rhode Island by bringing the Dons within 2 close to the end of the half.  Mel put the Dons up by 2 in the second half and helped them maintain their lead to go on and win the game.  And Katy, well, she led the team in scoring with 19 points!  We will be congregating in the lower level, general admission, center court section, opposite our team’s bench.  Look for our banner and my pom poms!  Admission is free for students and tickets are $7 at the door for everyone else.  I know it is a busy time of the year, but please come out and support your fellow students on the team!  Students, faculty, alumni, friends… everyone is invited!