3

Graduating Student Chronicles, Ch. 1: Addysen Trumper

So a new idea struck me last week.  I thought it would be fun to have graduating students and new students document their semesters (last and first, respectively) for us here on the blog.  Why?  To give us insight, take us down memory lane, spur us to offer advice, celebrate our time together, eavesdrop on other people’s lives, and really, because I thought it would be fun (I know I said that already).  So, I put a call out to new students and asked a few of our seniors to take part.  Here’s how it will work.  The students who are participating have agreed to blog three times over the course of this semester: once this week to reflect on their first week back, once at midsemester, and once after the end of the semester (after graduation for our seniors).  So, first up is senior Communication Studies major Addysen Trumper.  I gave the students a lot of leeway as to how to approach this, so here’s Addysen’s take.  Her “Chapter 1.”

“The two hours and twenty minutes spent in the air on the trusted wings of an airliner between Colorado and San Francisco has always served as a personal meditation moment to think about ‘my next step.’ Flying home for an extensive Christmas holiday or returning Bay side for school and career advancement has marked the start and end of different eras during my time as a Don. My last airplane lift from Colorado had a different flavor as this was the last USF Christmas vacation leading into my last semester as an undergrad student. When Professor Doohan suggested that I record and document my first week of ‘the university end,’ my mid-semester happenings, and after graduation leaps, I couldn’t resist. I’m experiencing, and other seniors share, my sentimental and fearful feelings of leaving USF. So no matter if you are a rookie or a pro to the department—here is an inside look at my final spring semester as a Communication Studies student.

Sunday:

• Finished settling into my San Fran nest after a month spent re-rooting at home.
  • Spent a few hours responding to and writing pre-semester emails to professors, friends and employers to organize my next week.
  • Swiped my card at the Koret and tackled the Stairmaster to relieve some food guilt from the night before.
  • Enjoyed an afternoon on foot to Alamo Square, through the Castro and the Mission, and winding my way downtown. The day before every semester I treat myself to a little retail therapy because, well why not?
  • Settled in for the night to organize and mentally prepare myself for my next day of classes.

Enjoying the San Francisco sun during a long Sunday afternoon walk

Monday:

• Class from 11:45am- 2:05pm — Interpersonal Communication and Family Communication. Two Doohan classes right in a row. (Woop, Woop!)
  • Grabbed the 31 bus downtown to submit a few resumes and cover letters. (Note to self: the 31 is a horrible bus line. How did I forget this? My loyalty lies in the 21 and 5.)
  • Enjoyed a little television: The Bachelor (don’t judge) and Castle while entering syllabus information into my calendar and preparing for my next day.

Tuesday:

• Up bright and early to enjoy a cup of tea and Good Morning America before 8:00 am class– PR Law and Ethics. (Was so thrilled when I found many old communication comrades in my class!)
  • Scheduled a few interviews before heading down to the Fillmore for a few errands and spent time at The Grove for lunch and read for my classes the next day.
  • Swung by the Koret for a quick sweat after running a few errands with my bestie, Jillian.
  • Watched Glee (a rare occasion) and bawled through the whole episode. Ok, that show is good! You are so right on, Professor Doohan!
  • Finished off my last diet coke for the day as I read my latest bed time story book, Industrie, a revolutionary fashion magazine that makes my dreams more vivid than ever.

Snuggled in with my favorite magazine... dreaming big!

Wednesday:

• Dropped off some dry cleaning and mail before heading to class (Doohan again–not too shabby eh?)
  • Checked off a thirty minute phone interview; butterflies calmed after a successful conversation. 
  • Sat down to my first ever Photo Shop class. Way out of my comfort zone but stoked about the new skill I’ll be able to put on my resume.
  • Burritos and American Idol with my friend, Meggie.

Thursday:

• Spooned some yogurt to my tummy on my way to 8:00 am class.
  • Met Cameron, my boyfriend, for lunch at Velo Rouge and picnicked in GG park.
  • Read for my next day classes on the steps in front of Library and people-watched for a few hours.
  • Not going to lie… enjoyed “Comedy Night, Done Right, All Night” on NBC. But don’t worry, I multitasked. Even made an emergency run down to the corner store for my favorite candies: Haribo Raspberries.
  • Took the trash out, finished an assignment, watched Jimmy Fallon, and snoozed away.

Friday:

• Woke up and jetted to the gym to get my workout on first thing before enjoying a bowl of instant oatmeal and style blog internet surfing.
  • Strolled to my last two classes for the week (Yes that is right, I have Doohan three days a week, twice a day. Good stuff!)
  • Met with my career advisor at the career center for a catch up and check in. Note: use the career center if you don’t already. It is like free therapy that could help you get a job.
  • Ate a fabulous dinner with Lauren, a wonderful lady that I spent a lot of time with when studying in Paris, at Bar Jules. It was the best food I have had all week (Carrot Salad with Cumin Vinaigrette…so yummy!)

Getting ready to head out the door for dinner. Lipstick check.

Saturday:

• Hopped on the 21 bus to the Farmer’s Market at the Ferry Building to grab a few treats for my evening festivities and to pick up my produce for the week.
  • Worked on some applications and school work while enjoying one of my new Asian Pears. (An early Saturday morning to the Farmer’s market is worth just one bite into this watery pear/ apple.)
  • One more gym run for the week– felt the burn!
  • Triple date! Pasta night at our friend’s apartment while discussing film, futures and politics (heated fun) while enjoying the company of two other couples. We had planned to watch  a movie, but the conversation was entertainment enough.

A foggy and misty morning at the farmer’s market.

All in all, a grand first week back! As my mind races during reflection time about life after USF, I realize how good and productive my life is as a student. I am so happy I’m able to share my good and bad moments with friends who walk the same USF paths and professors who are here to lead. More than anything, I’m learning it is important to take my future one step at a time. I just purchased a card that now hangs on my bulletin board always reminding me, ‘Now and then it’s good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy.’ I leave you with this thought and challenge until my mid-semester update. I’ll then let you know how I am honoring this new motto. Have a great start to the semester!”

Thanks, Addysen, for taking us through your last first week!  Any other seniors sharing Addysen’s sentiments?  Any alums who have some advice?  Comment back!  Can’t wait for Addysen’s next post?  You can keep up with her by reading her blog at http://antonablogaddysen.blogspot.com/.  We have an edition of “New Student Chronicles” and another “Graduating Student Chronicles” coming up.  Feeling left out?  Contact me at edoohan@usfca.edu if you want to participate!

3 Comments

1. Congrats Addysen!! I can’t believe you’re already graduating! With all those job apps, you are sure to land something awesome! Good luck!

2. ‘Now and then it’s good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy.’

This is one of my new favorite quotes!

Addysen, you are fantastic and I can’t wait to see what you do and where you go.
    In the meantime, let’s do lunch! Sounds like you know all the hot spots 🙂

3. great post and you have got a great ideea with having graduating students and new students document their semesters for you here on the blog:)