0

Graduating Student Chronicles, Ch. 2: Addysen Trumper

It is time to check back in with graduating senior, soon-to-be-college-grad-and-department-alum Addysen Trumper! Here is Chapter 2 of Addysen’s Chronicles:

“Lately my Facebook Newsfeed has been overwhelmed with status updates by fellow graduating seniors indicating a numerical countdown to graduation day, May 20th. As statuses roll by and the number of days continue to shrink, my sentiments and emotional connection to USF seems to grow stronger. It is funny how perceptions evolve from cursing the stairs of Lone Mountain to climbing the mountain remembering the many treks made during my time as a Lone Mountain resident, always on the lookout for our resident hawks perched on the rusted cross. Now, a day spent in class feels more like a privilege than a chore as I have just under two months left of learning through a critical eye with diverse peers. As we have been hit with the half way mark of spring semester 2011, I have returned to ‘Speaking of…’ for round two of my Graduating Student Chronicles.

Sunday

• Last day of Spring Break came way too fast as I spent some time at home in Colorado for family time and my cousin’s mountain wedding.
  • After my mama and I squeezed in a lunch at our favorite spot, we headed to the airport as we discussed graduation plans and end of semester nerves.
  • Must have been some air traffic. My plane was late so homework time was extended in the airport and arrived back to San Francisco just before Monday hit.

Spending time with my brother Pierce as our cousin's wedding over spring break

Monday

• Reality blared when my alarm sounded at 6:45am and the snooze button was hit a few times before I jumped in the shower to wash off the “airport grime.”
  • Sat down to my computer for a few hours before class, only to realize the consequences of neglecting some work during break. Work for the week was already looking like a hurdle… I needed to get ready to leap.
  • Guilty of picking out my outfit for work the next day before hitting the hay. My aesthetic juices tend to flow during the evening hours as I prepare for the day ahead.

Tuesday

• After 8:00am class on Lone Mountain, I trotted down the stairs, past Loyola Village, to the 38 bus line to make my required clock-in time at Saks where I have been working as a sales associate at Saks Fifth Avenue for the past two months.
  • Spent my day shopping with clients as I pushed for sales after taking a couple days off for the break. I was excited to leave the store that night feeling caught up on my sales goals.  
  • Dedicated my evening to the Foghorn as I wrote a “Style File” article on fashionable giving, benefiting Japan crisis relief. Check it out: http://foghorn.usfca.edu/2011/03/a-brief-guide-to-fashionable-giving-the-fashion-community-reaches-out-to-help-japan/

Wednesday

• My alarm clock seems to go off earlier and earlier each morning to allow for just one more hour in the day. Woke up for an hour and a half of homework before a Starbucks break with my cousin visiting the city. She even took my Foghorn photo to accompany the article.
  • The classes for the day consisted of Interpersonal Communication, Family Communication and Photo Shop. I still can’t believe this is my last semester of classes.
  • My Wednesday ritual was not ignored as I trekked down to Papalote to pick up dinner and watched Steven Tyler and company on American Idol for a midweek treat.
  • Tucked myself into bed after a few hours of homework.

Thursday

• Spooned some yogurt to my tummy on my way to 8:00am class.
  • Booked it to Saks for a day of work spent around luxury and the people who can afford it.
  • I hate to be redundant, but settled into an evening of homework– I keep imagining that I will not be able to graduate if I slack during my last semester at USF.

Friday

• My morning consisted of crossing household chores off my list. I tackled some laundry and cleaning before heading out for classes. 
  • Study, study! School is my buddy! Had my last two classes for the week with Professor Doohan. 
  • Jetted downtown to spend a half day at work which was just fine with me. Had a successful day on the fourth floor.
  • Met my man, Cameron, downtown to pick up some birthday cupcakes for a friend’ s birthday dinner. Had a very relaxing evening with Cameron and two other couples (triple date!) We talked about life and dreams after school and joked about politics and media over homemade pizza.
  • Cameron and I walked back to the campus area from the Pacific Heights pad. The late stroll was spent talking about his law school decisions and reminiscing on life in San Francisco. 

In my work zone at my apartment

Saturday

• Felt a little strange to have a Saturday off from work but I powered through to finish a paper due the next week. Yes, I spent my entire Saturday writing, but was treated later on in the day.
  • Took an half an hour “Diet Coke” break with my best girl, Jillian. She is in a rather lucky predicament of deciding between George Washington and NYU for grad school. Life in D.C. vs. NYC was the topic of the day. (I am voting for NYC!)
  • Cameron came to pick me up for a very late movie downtown. It was a “late-date” but fabulous all the same.

At Communication Studies Game Day at the last basketball game of the season with Cameron

Voila! A sneak peak into a mid semester week of this graduating senior! Believe me when I say that time seems to be slipping through my fingers as the Facebook updates keep flooding in. While my time spent during the week may not seem like the most thrilling party themed last semester that many underclassmen envision, I feel like my days are leading me to something, somewhere, that somehow that will bring me happiness.  I find three things I cherish more than anything this semester: I am thankful to have a job which allows me to be in the presence of my passion for fashion. I cherish my time learning and using my mind in school.  I value my hours spent with loved ones. The May 20th walk will be here in the blink of an eye, so from until the end, I relish the remaining lessons to be learned and the good times of being a USF undergrad.”

Thanks, Addysen, for being so thoughtful about your last semester as an undergrad and documenting it for us here!  The next time we hear from Addysen on the blog, she will be “Addysen Trumper, BA!”  That’s right, we’ll hear from her one more time after her big May 20th walk!

campus