1

Internship Ideas: Rheina at "CBS 5/KCAL Sports"

I know what you are wishing for. A new “Internship Ideas” post for your reading enjoyment and internship inspiration over the summer months. Wish granted! Today’s Internship Ideas features Communication Studies major Rheina Ale. Here we go…

CBS 5 intern Rheina

Q: Where do you intern and what do they do?

Rheina: “I am interning at CBS/KCAL Sports in Studio City. They are a well-known sports channel in Southern California. CBS covers mostly all LA sports teams or popular LA sports events that may be happening around the area.”

Q: How did you find this internship?

Rheina: “My coach, Jennifer Azzi, knew someone that was really good friends with the intern coordinator here at CBS. I got an interview, and was hired within the next 2 weeks. I was really blessed to have connections through my coach!”

Q: Why did you choose to intern there?

Rheina: “I decided to intern here because I really want to become a sports broadcaster. I figured by getting an internship at a sports station I can see what to expect and see if this is really what I want to pursue as a career.”

Q: What do you do on a regular basis at your internship?

Rheina: “At my internship, all the interns are in charge of ‘logging games.’ This means we are each assigned a sports game, whether it is Golf, Basketball, Baseball, etc. and are in charge of writing the play by plays for our boss and highlight the most important events that happened. Our managers use what we highlighted as important plays and put it on the sports segment during the news. I love logging basketball games, however I usually get stuck with logging NASCAR or Golf because basketball isn’t in season right now.”

Q: What have you learned at your internship?

Rheina: “So far, I learned a lot more about different sports. I wanted to focus on basketball and become a sideline reporter, however to become a successful sports broadcaster, you need to know a lot about all sports. I’ve become a fan of baseball simply because I would log a game at least once whenever I’m working here.”

Q: What advice do you have for other students who are looking for an internship?

Rheina: “As for advice, I would tell them to have fun during your internship. It can be scary starting off, but then I got used to how it is here and became comfortable with what I am doing. Also, it is very important to socialize and meet other people. I want to become closer with our main broadcasters because some day I might be working with them! (hopefully). Meet new people, have fun, and work hard.”

Great advice, Rheina! Who would guess Rheina would become a NASCAR expert over the summer through her internship? Congratulations and thanks for sharing your experiences!

campus

One Comment