2

Study Abroad Chronicles, Ch. 2: Louise Littig

It is time to check in once again with Communication Studies major Louise Littig, who kindly agreed to document her study abroad adventures in beautiful Spain for us here. Let’s see what Louise has been up to!

COMS major Louise enjoying Porto, Portugal

“Hola todos! I hope you’ve all survived finals and are now relaxing and enjoying your summer! This is my second post for USF’s Communication Studies Department where I have been documenting my experience studying abroad in Barcelona, Spain.

In my first post I highlighted some of my beginning experiences studying abroad and also how I was adjusting to living in a different country. As I sit here writing this on my flight back to the U.S. it seems like time has flown right by and I have to now come to terms with this wonderful experience coming to an end! Here is an update of some of my highlights since my last post!

If you haven’t already heard, Barcelona’s soccer team, Fútbol Club Barcelona, won 3 out of the 4 titles this year including: La Liga, Supercopa de España and Champions League, the tournament for the best soccer team in Europe. Just like last fall when the San Francisco Giants won the World Series, the Barcelona FBC fans took to the streets and celebrated with fireworks, chants and flag waving for their three impressive title wins! As crazy as the celebrations were when the Giants won the World Series, I have never been more impressed by the pride and loyalty the entire city of Barcelona showed for their team!

barca fans celebrating title win on las ramblas

Since my last post I had the opportunity to travel to a few more cities in Europe. I went to Porto, Portugal during my spring break where I got to surf, visit wineries where they make Port Wine and also explore the ancient city. Also during my spring break I headed over to Mallorca, one of the Balearic Islands off the coast of Spain. While we were there we rented a car and drove around the island; stopping and spending time in different cities and beaches. Another huge highlight of my travels was visiting Paris, France. While in Paris I got to visit Notre Dame, Saint Chappelle, Sacre Coeur Montmarte and many, many others. The city is very intriguing and quite romantic and I hope to be able to go back someday to explore it more.

Sacre Coeur- Montmarte Paris, France

Sant Chapelle- Paris, France

Before coming to Barcelona I had been fortunate enough to be able to travel to countries outside of the U.S., so when I approached this opportunity I decided that this may be one of my only chances to actually live in a different country for an extended period of time. My thinking is that I will have my entire lifetime to travel and explore different countries but when will I have an opportunity again as a student to live and experience Spain? That being said, I chose to spend the second half of my stay in Spain to really get a feel of what it is like to be a resident there. I am so happy I made this choice because now I am leaving Spain knowing the language, understanding the culture and having friends that I will keep for a lifetime. This past month was filled with endless goodbyes. These goodbyes have left me with a feeling that has truly made me realize what an incredible experience studying abroad has been. I urge and recommend to anyone who has the opportunity to study abroad to take up that offer! It is a wonderfully unique experience that I will surely never forget. I will always treasure my time spent living in Barcelona. Nos vemos pronto.

Catalan flag with view of Barcelona in background. View from Montjuic.

5 Things to Do When Visiting Barcelona

1. Go check out El Museu Picasso- one of the most extensive collections of Picasso
  2. Sit outdoors at a cafe and enjoy traditional Catalan tapas and sangria with some good friends
  3. Hike Montjuic to visit the Castel and take in the views of the Mediterranean Sea
  4. Walk down Las Ramblas and enjoy the street performers and masses of tourists!
  5. Explore the historic, narrow streets of Barrí Gotic”

Thanks, Louise, for sharing your wonderful experiences (and pictures!) with us! It sounds like you had an amazing time! I have asked Louise to blog for us once more right before school starts to document her how she is adjusting to being back in the States. Welcome back, Louise!

2 Comments

1. The best! Great blog and commentary. I want to go back now to Spain. Good job. Buen Suerte en su volver a San Francisco. ( not correct verb)