1

Alumni Spotlight #17: Matt MacLean, '10

Today’s “Alumni Spotlight” shines onto 2010 graduate Matt MacLean. Matt has been working steadily since graduating in December, but just recently started a new position as an Associate Account Manager, GCS MCM eMarketing Services at Acxiom Corporation. Matt’s position is actually usually two positions (that’s right, Matt, USF Communication Studies grad, can do the work of two people!): he manages content and works with clients directly. He is working on the Sephora and HP accounts, managing all of their digital content. You know those e-mails you get from Sephora or HP? Matt formats and distributes those!

COMS graduate Matt, smiling because he loves his new job!

Check out the long list of perks that come with Matt’s new job:

• Free breakfast and lunch
  • Discounts on clothing brands (Gap is a client), computer stuff (HP is a client), discounts on cosmetics (Sephora is a client), free or really cheap phones (AT&T is a client)
  • Happy hour on Fridays
  • Game room equipped with a pool table, video games, and music
  • Free gym
  • Free parking

Whoa! I know Matt just made many people jealous! (Including me… free food, discounts, and parking?).

I asked Matt to share with us how he thinks his Communication Studies background helped him land his new position.

“How my background helped me:

• Ability to interview and make a positive first impression. Nonverbal behavior helped here because I needed to come across confident and knowledgeable.
  • Ability to synthesize different materials and data in courses helps me do it in the workplace.
  • Grammatical and writing styles I learned help me be clear in my communication throughout the office and show I’m professional and smart.
  • Studying material: I needed to study a ton of information which I was quizzed on.
  • Time management: dealing with multiple projects in communication courses helped me deal with my time on upcoming projects here.
  • A smile goes a long way. I learned that smiling is important in communication and it has helped me meet people here even if I don’t interact with them on a day-to-day basis.
  • My experience in Communication Studies helped me interact effectively and has helped me navigate the new office and office atmosphere.
  • Finally, my degree got me the job. Communication Studies is a general degree that a lot of people are looking for– it gives a wide range of expertise. It allows me options here in the office and helps me be diverse in the office.”

Did anyone else notice Matt’s use of the word synthesize? That reminds me of a very specific writing assignment! See… learning how to write a literature review is helpful!

Thanks, Matt! Congratulations on your new position! We are so proud of you!

One Comment

1. Congrats Matt! That sounds like a lot of fun and a job that you’d be very good at doing! Keep up the good work! Those perks are awesome!