1

94 Days of Summer, Day 70: Ishtar's East Coast Summer Continues

Senior Communication Studies major Ishtar Schneider has been having a busy summer back East. Let’s catch up!

“Wow! I can’t believe this month has flown by as quickly as it has.  I ‘graduated’ from The Fund for American Studies Institute on Political Journalism today having totally survived microeconomics (with an A no less!).  I’ve had some really great experiences both in and out of the program this month.

Graduating from The Fund (sounds mysterious... like a secret agent graduation!)

I spent the fourth of July exploring the National Mall (no, not the shopping kind) with my friends, listening to the Air Force band and watching the awesome fireworks on the lawn.  It was really cool to experience the nation’s birthday in such a history rich city.

The real National Mall

I also got to fly back to the bay the second weekend for my best friend (and USF alum and communication studies major) Sara Keller’s wedding in Sonoma. It was beautiful in the bay that weekend and the big day was gorgeous.

Two happy COMS majors, Ishtar and alum Sara K! Congrats!

I took a couple day trips with my mom including one to Chesapeake beach, which was totally relaxing.  I’m used to the frigid water of Ocean Beach so it was a nice change!

Chesapeake Beach

Program-wise we had some awesome speakers this month including Fred Barnes the executive editor and original creator of the news publication The Weekly Standard.  We got to meet him after his talk and he was just the sweetest man.  He had tons of good advice for us as future journalists and pr professionals.

Ishtar with Mr. Fred Barnes

We also got to go behind the scenes at ABC news with reporter (and TFAS alum) Karen Travers.  It was really neat, plus, their studios are right next to ESPN’s so we got to take a sneak peek at them too!  I visited the National Press Club headquarters and attended their weekly Taco Night and happy hour with some of my fellow program participants.  I’ve become friends with the young members director and I got to attend a special tete-a-tete at the Kazakhstan embassy (super awesome).  They have some really cool events at the NPC and most are free for members.  Each POTUS is a member of the club and most have given a luncheon talk at one point or another.

At the National Press Club

Visiting ABC News

Somewhere in there I had time to finish my ethics course and start (and now finish) my microeconomics class. All in all it has been a full month and despite the ridiculous humidity and sky-high temps I think I’ll miss the east coast a little bit once I’m gone.  Good thing I leave for NYC on Monday so I have some more adventures to look forward to next month!”

Congratulations, Ishtar! This seems like such a great experience! So nice to have our majors represented in our nation’s capitol!

One Comment

1. So cool, Ishtar – just remember us when you become famous! I was just thinking (this 4th of July), I wonder what it would be like to see the fireworks in DC?