1

94 Days of Summer, Day 90: Jamey's Trip to the Academy of Sciences

Our 94 days of summer is winding down (today is day 94!), but we still have a few more “94 Days of Summer” blog posts! Let’s check in with Communication Studies major Jamey Padojino…

“As summer slowly draws to a close I wanted to take advantage of my last week of freedom. So I decided to take time off from my internship and give some time for myself. I’ve been catching up with friends whom I don’t see very often before which has made time go a fast than I thought.

Yesterday I went to the California Academy of Sciences with my boyfriend to take advantage of their free admission every third Wednesday of the month. This was my 5th visit to the Academy but I’m still fascinated by all the diversity that’s all in one place. I always enjoy especially the Rainforests  of the World exhibit where you’re walking alongside  butterflies in high humidity.

Butterflies at the California Academy of Sciences

At the entrance I couldn’t help but notice the signs pasted everywhere for the “Snakes and Lizards” Exhibit. I’ve seen the commercials advertising the exhibit for the past few months. And if there’s one thing to know about me – one of my biggest fears are snakes. By all means I tried to avoid walking towards the exhibit but there was no way my boyfriend would miss out on this one.

So we ended up seeing the exhibit. And instead of kicking and screaming (trust me I would not do that in public) I decided to face my fears. With a deep breathe I stepped through the doors.

And it wasn’t as bad as I had thought! Amidst the cobra, boa constrictor and of course Lemondrop, the male, albino python. I was able stay composed. Luckily none of them were on display to pet.

Jamey, braver than me, posing with a snake

I also got to see a Green Basilisk! (You know, from Harry Potter?)” 🙂

A basilisk (smaller than in Harry Potter!)

Thanks, Jamey! You are braver than me (I am terrified of snakes!). Good tip for all of our new students on the free admission day to the Academy of Sciences!

One Comment

1. Ewwww… snakes… Jamey didn’t mention they have the giant robotic snake from Anaconda there too! That is way less scary than the real snakes 🙂 Good suggestion to go on the free day!!!